This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
I was at my local Costco in NYC on 116th Street last Friday and noticed that they were selling $300 American Airline gift cards for $269 (10% off). These gift cards are just like any other gift card you’d purchase directly from American. They can be used towards the purchase of air travel on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, oneworld airlines (i.e., Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, Qantas, etc.), and AA Code-Share flights. The one caveat is that your itinerary must be purchased and originate in the US, Puerto Rico, or US Virgin Islands. Additionally, Costco allows you to return your gift cards if they are not used. You probably want to call your local Costco to see if they have them in stock as it has been reported as they are not available at all locations.
One Mile at a Time did an analysis on the gift card and said that although it is a 10% savings for him it really only a 6% savings. Many credit cards give you bonus points by purchasing air travel (i.e., AMEX Premier Rewards Gold gives 3 points/$1), while using that save card for a Costo purchase will only give you 1 point/$1. However, what was not factored in is that if you have a Costco Executive Membership you get 2% back on all purchases (up to $500). So in reality, it would be an 8% savings (not 10%). Obviously, your savings could range from 6%-12% depending on the credit card you use to purchase your travel and the gift cards and your membership level at Costco.
I personally purchased $2,100 worth of these gift cards for my Cathay Pacific flight to Thailand this December. And on that note, if you have any Thailand recommendations (hotels, activities, ANYTHING) please send along!
Terms & Conditions on the gift card:
- Gift Cards are redeemable only at www.aa.com or by calling AA Reservations at 800-433-7300 (ticketing charges apply)
- A maximum of 8 Gift Cards may be redeemed per reservation
- You may check your card’s balance at www.aa.com/giftcard
- Gift Cards do not expire and have no dormancy, service, maintenance or other fees
- The Gift Card has no value until activated at time of purchase
- The Gift Card has no implied warranties and is not a credit or debit card
- If you have any questions, please call 1-800-677-9555 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm CST