This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
For those of you who missed out on the Skymall promotion offering 25,000 Delta miles with every $500+ purchase, there still are some great opportunities to get those needed SkyMiles by transferring or purchasing miles with BIG bonuses. While these options will cost slightly more than the Skymall promotion, this can be a pretty lucritive bonus opportunity for those interested in redeeming miles for business and first class international flights.
Bonus on Transferring Delta Miles to Another Account – Overall best option!
- Through December 16th, get a 100% bonus when transferring miles to another account. Unlike the previous bonus the recipient will be the one receiving the bonus miles. For example, if you transfer 50,000 miles to a family members account, they will receive 100,000 miles. The charge to transfer miles from one account to another is $0.01/mile plus a $30 transaction fee. If you transfer miles at at the same time to multiple accounts, you will only need to pay that $30 transaction fee once (up to four recipients). Additionally, you are not able to transfer more than 150,000 miles from your account and a recipient cannot receive more than 300,000 miles in total from other accounts in a calendar year. Read my prior blog post for a detailed analysis.
Bonus on Purchasing Delta Miles
- Delta SkyMile Credit Card Holders: Through December 31, 2011, get a 100% bonus on all Delta mile purchases. You must current have an active Delta SkyMile credit card, which currently has a 30,000 point offer bonus. Miles must be purchases in 2,000 mile increments, with a minimum of 2,000 miles and a maximum of 60,000 miles. Read my prior blog post for more details.
- Everyone Else: Through December 22, 2011, get a 75% bonus on all Delta mile purchases. The maximum number of bonus miles you can earn through this promotion is 45,000 miles. Read my prior blog post for more details.
Analysis: Which promotion is better – purchasing miles or transferring miles? Overall, it is less costly to transfer the miles between accounts than outright purchasing the miles. The only scenario where it actually makes sense to purchase the miles is if you are looking for just 2,000 miles to top off an account. My analysis below takes into consideration having the Delta SkyMiles credit card which will give you 100% bonus on purchasing miles instead of the 75% bonus. For non-Delta card members, the same situation holds as well.
- Purchasing 2,000 miles: Results in 4,000 miles and will cost $70
- Purchasing 2,000 miles: Results in 2,000 miles and will cost $50 – if you do this twice you will get 4,000 miles and will cost $100
- Purchasing 4,000 miles: Results in 8,000 miles and will cost $150.50
- Transferring 4,000 miles: Results in 4,000 miles and will cost $70 – if you do this twice will get 8,000 miles and will cost $140
Also, if you transfer to more accounts at the same time your actual cost will be much less as you will only have to pay the $30 one time.
Like always, the Promotions page has been updated to always reflect the latest travel deals!