This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
So one of the best ways to get a “deal” is to earn some extra points/miles or cash back rebates by making all your online purchases through various companies online shopping portal. There are two types of sites:
- Cashback – You will get #% back on your total purchase
- Points/Miles – You will get #x bonus on the total purchase price
Both types of sites are great, and usually I determine the site I’ll use based on which one has the best current bonus at the time for the online store I am make the purchase through. While you need to decide which site works best for you, I wanted to highlight a newer one out there called TopCashBack.com. Blogger Frequent Miler actually introduced me to this particular site as they give ALL of the store’s commission rate back to the consumer (YOU!) and only make their money via ads. Unlike some of the other cash back rebate sites, you can cash out your earned money at any point, you do not need to hit a certain minimum threshold (i.e., some of them require you to have at least $25 to cash out).
I spent a good amount of time over the past few days comparing this site against the other cash back sites and mile/point bonus earning sites, and more times than not TopCashBack had the best cash rebate for the consumer. It is up to you though if you’d prefer cash back or bonus miles/points. If it is the same % back as bonus points, I’ll personally go for the bonus miles/points as I get much more value out of my points than 1 cent per dollar, however, I do understand that some folks prefer the cash upfront.
So I looked into many many merchants, and found some great cash back opportunities:
- Radisson (Club Carlson) – 10% cash back
- Airport Parking Reservations – 40% cash back!
- Avis – 5.5% cash back
- Cheapcarribean.com – 5% cash back
- Restaurant.com – 36% cash back
- Proflowers.com – 21% cash back
- Shoebuy.com – 17% cash back
- Bloomingdales – 7.5% cash back
- Old Navy – 5.5% bach
- Soap.com – 5% cash back
Essentially you can think of this as a discount on your purchase. So if you are buying something at Bloomingdales.com that costs $100, you are getting 7.5% discount (thus $7.50 back via this rebates site).
How does this work?
- First, register for topcashback.com. Up until July 4, 2012 you can receive a $10 referral for everyone that you get to sign up through your referral link (many thanks to anyone who signs up through my link). Once your referee earns $10 back in rebates themselves, your $10 referral commission will get paid out to you.
- Search for the online shopping store you are looking for. Remember, not every store is on this site (or every site for that matter). Also, make sure to take a look at a few of the online shopping portals to see which one gives you the best offer.
- I searched for Radisson since that is that is a pretty common one right now to get an extra deal out of the Club Carlson promotion. The cash back percentage will be listed (in this case 10%) and any other terms or restrictions will be given. This particular example states that you will still earn the cash back on the “cash” part if you use Cash & Points to book a reservation. Some merchants give a different cash back amount based on the product. For example, at Best Buy you might get 6% on some select purchases, but only 1.7% back on a laptop. Also, many times they state that the purchase of gift cards are excluded (although there are times when those purchases slip through the cracks).
- Once you click the “Get Cashback Now” button, you will be taken directly to the merchants website. Tracking codes in the URL are able to figure out where you came from and thus give commission to the site who sent you there (while I am not a tech person so do not fully understand the ins and outs of this, I promise it works!).
Essentially, this takes probably an extra 1 minute of your time to ultimately book your travel or purchase an item from the exact same website you would have originally! No coupons needed and you get a discount on your purchase, not too shabby, right?! Enjoy your extra savings!