This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Yesterday I posted about Marriott’s Summer Megabonus Promotion that starts tomorrow (June 1st) and runs through August 31. I received a comment from another blogger (thanks Miles From Blightly!) informing me that the MegaMiles promotion was just announced. This allows you to receive bonus miles instead of the bonus points. Between July 1st through October 31st you will receive triple miles on all stays starting after your second stay.
On almost all airlines you will receive (this is the normal amount and does not include the triple points):
- 2 miles per $1 US on all qualifying charges at (6 points per $1 US with the promotion):
- JW Marriott
- Autograph Collection
- Renaissance Hotels
- Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- Marriott Vacation Club
- 2 miles per $1 US spent on room rate only at (6 points per $1 US with the promotion):
- The Ritz-Carlton
- 1 mile per $1 US spent on room rate only at (3 points per $1 US with the promotion):
- Courtyard by Marriott
- AC Hotels by Marriott
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott
- Residence Inn by Marriott
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott
- Marriott Executive Apartments
There are a few exceptions, which include:
- JetBlue and Virgin America – You will only receive 1 mile per $1 US spent at all hotel brands (3 points per $1 US with the promotion)
- Qantas – For hotels outside of Australia you will receive 3 miles per $1 US spent at JW, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Ritz, and EDITION (9 points per $1 US with the promotion); 2 miles per $1 US spent at Courtyard, AC Hotels, Fairfield, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, TownPlace Suites, and Marriott Executive Apartments (6 points per $1 US with the promotion). For hotels within Australia you will receive 3 points per $1 US spent at JW, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Marriott Hotels, and Courtyard (9 points per $1 US with the promotion).
- Southwest – You will receive 600 points per stay, regardless of the number of nights and amount spent (1,800 points with the promotion)
Typically, I always opt for points over miles at for my hotel stays, however, this could really provide some value for those who prefer miles. I am actually a fan of earning triple miles on Southwest – after your second stay you will earn 1,800 points per stay which is valued at $30 towards a “Wanna Getaway” fare. This is great for those cheap one night stays. For a longer, more expensive stay, 6 miles for $1 US could provide some value. Personally, I’d still prefer my 10 Marriott points per $1 plus the MegaBonus promotion instead of the 6 miles per $1. At the end of the day it really depends on how you value Marriott points vs. airline miles of your choice (and if you are a Southwest flier).
To be able to see this promotion and register you must change your earning preferences to miles instead of points. Also during the overlap of the two programs (July and August) you are only able to take advantage of either the Marriott MegaMiles or MegaBonus promotion per stay – not both. You are able to switch back and forth for each stay, but will need to switch your earning preference. In June, absolutely enroll for the MegaBonus and then for September and October, see how you value miles over points.