This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
This is post #7 of a series regarding the Hilton HHonors hotel program.
- Introduction to a new Hilton Credit Card – Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Reserve Card
- Hilton Credit Card Comparison
- Earning Status with Hilton
- What does Hilton Status Get You?
- Understanding the Double-dip Options
- Utilizing Hilton GLON Awards (GLON awards have been discontinued)
- Utilizing Hilton AXON Awards
- GLON vs. AXON – Which One is Better? (GLON awards have been discontinued)
- Utilizing Hilton’s 5th Night Free Awards
- AXON vs. 5th Night Free Award – Which One is Better?
- Understanding Hilton Cash and Points Redemption
One of the many unknown benefits of the Hilton rewards program are AXON awards. Utilizing this benefits can possibly allow your points to be stretched further and to get a better redemption out of your Hilton points.
First let me start out by saying that the only way to have access to the AXON awards is by having one of their two co-branded American Express credit card: Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express and Hilton HHonors Card from American Express. The Citi cards will NOT give you access to AXON awards as this is a special perk of just the two Amex credit cards – even having status will not get you this special award charts.
AXON awards are available on stays of 4 nights for categories 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 hotels:
- Category 5 hotel, typically requires 30,000 – 40,000 points
- AXON5 discount for 4 nights = 130,000 points total, so 32,500 points/night
- Category 6 hotel, typically requires 30,000 – 50,000 points
- AXON6 discount for 4 nights = 160,000 points total, so 40,000 points/night
- Category 7 hotel, typically requires 30,000 – 70,000 points
- AXON7 discount for 4 nights = 190,000 points total, so 47,500 points/night
- Category 8 hotel, typically requires 40,000 – 70,000 points
- AXON8 discount for 4 nights = 220,000 points total, so 55,000 points/night
- Category 9 hotel, typically requires 50,000 – 80,000 points
- AXON9 discount for 4 nights = 260,000 points total, so 65,000 points/night
- Category 10 hotel, typically requires 70,000 – 95,000 points
- AXON10 discount for 4 nights = 300,000 points total, so 75,000 points/night
As you can see from above, AXON award are no longer a good redemption when a hotel requires the lowest range of points to be redeemed (typically off-peak times). AXON awards used to be much more valuable prior to the massive award redemption change in March 2013. Also, these awards cannot be booked online, and you’ll need to call Hilton reservations (1-800-920-5649).
Remember, if you have Hilton status (Silver, Gold, and Diamond) you also have access to the 5th night free benefit. However, you cannot combine the savings. You need to pick the one that will give you the higher discount. For category 1-4 hotels, the 5th night free option is better since AXON awards are not available for those categories.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for some of the credit cards. All of these are the best offers available. As always, thanks for your support and happy traveling on a deal!