This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Back in September I wrote about a promotion where you can get up to 30,000 American Airline Advantage miles by opening a new Citibank checking account. That promotion has since ended (10/30/12), but View from a Wing reports that the promotion is up and running again for those who have missed out.
From what I read the terms are exactly the same, by the offer code is different. As I mentioned back in September, there are three different offers depending on the checking account opening. The highest one being 30,000 AAdvantage miles, which is enough miles for a roundtrip domestic ticket (in coach) or a one way ticket to Europe (in coach). Since this is a checking account it will not pull your credit like applying for another credit card, which is great.
How to take advantage:
- Open the checking account by November 30, 2012
- Within 60 days you must complete the two following activities:
- Meet the minimum spend on the debit card (30,000 mile offer = $750; 15,000 mile offer = $375; $5,000 mile offer = $125)
- Set up direct deposit to the checking account for 2+ consecutive months
- The AAdvantage® bonus miles will be posted by Citibank to your American Airlines AAdvantage® account within 90 days from the end of the statement period in which you met all offer requirements
To open an account:
- Apply online (and make sure code CY9S is already populated in the offer code box)
- Citigold Account package (to avoid the monthly fee must have $50,000 for all linked deposit or retirement accounts)
- Citibank Account package (to avoid the monthly fee must have $15,000 for a combined average balance)
- Basic Banking package (to avoid the monthly fee must have $1,500 for a combined average balance; you also must make 1 direct deposit and 1 bill payment each monthly statement period OR keep a combined monthly average balance of at least $1,500)
- Call 866-579-8496 and mention code CY9S
- Visit a Citibank branch and open the account
NOTE: In the past year Citibank has been sending out 1099 for miles earned, so you do risk the chance for getting a 1099 if partaking in this offer. They’ve also been putting a high value on each mile. From what I’ve read in Flyertalk, last year Citi valued the miles at 2.5 cents per mile. For amounts less than $600, companies are not required to send a 1099, however, that does not mean you are not supposed to report it as taxable income (keep in mind, I am not an accountant!). This means the 30,000 miles could potentially generate a 1099 form, but the 15,000 miles will not.
Also, typically these offers are for new checking account customers who have not opened a new Citibank consumer checking account within the past two years. I took part in this promotion about two years ago and was able to get the points even though I had a citi checking account. I opened a different type of account, so that could have been why, but no idea. I did, however, have to make multiple phone calls to get the points, but that is just my experience.
If anyone has any personal successful (or unsuccessful) experiences with this, please share for other interested readers. There were close to 50 comments on the last time I posted about this promotion, so I suggest reading through those comments first if you have any questions.