Yesterday I posted on an extremely limited time flash sale that Club Carlson was running where you’d get a 75% bonus when purchasing points. While the deal from yesterday is over the good news is that there is still a chance to get on this deal every day this week.
For a 75 minute period every day (this week only), Club Carlson will be running the same flash sale promotion. It will run only once a day and the start time will vary every day. While I will try to post about it when possible, there are no guarantees I’ll be sitting at my computer every time it’s announced by Club Carlson. I will try to tweet about it or post it on Facebook when possible. You can also follow Club Carlson’s Facebook and twitter page as they’ll announce the flash their as well.
With this promotion you can purchase up to 40,000 points (as that is the calendar year limit). With the sale you can get another 30,000 points if you purchase the maximum allowed for a total of 70,000 points. This will cost you $280, or $0.004 a point.
Whether or not this is a good deal depends on your upcoming travel plans. If you are looking to stay in an expensive European hotel, for example, this could provide you with a way to stay for cheaper. The cost to purchase 50,000 points (which is the number of points needed to stay in a standard room at a top category hotel) is $203. Many hotels are MUCH MUCH more expensive that $203/night including tax in Europe. Of course you need to check award availability and do the math for your particular stay. This can also be a way to purchase the number of points needed to top off your account for a specific award in mind.
Now where this can turn into an amazing deal is if you have the Club Carlson credit card as one of the huge perks of the card is a free night tacked onto every award stay. This means you could stay two nights for 50,000 points total or $101.50/night. Chances are you definitely won’t be able to beat that rate for a top hotel.
If you aren’t able to purchase points during one of these flash salsa, there are ways to buy Club Carlson points for cheaper:
- Daily Getaway sale. Tomorrow (Wednesday June 19) there are two Club Carlson points options: a) 50,000 points for X and 100,000 points for X. While this is a slightly cheaper way of purchasing points availability is extremely limited. There are 142 packages available for the 50,000 point option and 72 available for the 100,000 point option. Grabbing one of these deals will be close to impossible.
- Purchasing vanilla reload cards for bluebird usage with your Club Carlson credit card. Since you get 5 points per dollar on all non-Club Carlson hotel spend you can get up to 25,000 points a month for $39.50. To compare the cost to purchasing the points during this flash sale, these 50,000 points will ultimately cost $79.00. This is significantly cheaper, however, three things to keep in mind:
- You must have a Club Carlson credit card, and
- You must be willing/able to purchase and use $5,000 a month of vanilla reloads. You can check out this prior post on the best card to use for vanilla reload purchases to see how the Club Carlson card compares to others
- There is an opportunity cost as you aren’t using another card to purchase the vanilla reloads, so with a 2% cash back card for example, while you’ll spend $79 in fees, you can get points enough $200 worth of points for a net profit of $121. So definitely take that into consideration.
Editorial Note: Opinions, analyses, reviews or suggestions expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.