This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
This is post #4 of a series regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest hotel program.
- Perks of the Starwood Preferred Guest credit card
- Understanding Starwoods Cash & Points Redemption
- Getting your 5th Night Free with Starwood Points
- Redeeming your Points for Hotels & Flights
- Redeeming your Points for Upgraded Rooms and Suites
- Transferring your SPG Points to Airline Miles
- Transferring SPG Points Between Accounts
- Getting Starwood Status and the Perks
- How the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Annual Fee Pays for Itself
Something that is sometimes overlooked is redeeming points for the Hotels & Flights packages. Before I continue, I want to point out that this option is unfortunately only available for Category 3 and 4 hotels.
- Category 3 – Redeem 60,000 Starpoints for 50,000 airline miles and five free nights
- Category 4 – Redeem 70,000 Starpoints for 50,000 airline miles and five free nights
- For the category 3 award, typically a 5 night stay would require 28,000 points. This means that in actuality you are transferring 32,000 SPG points for 50,000 airline miles. Typically, if you are looking to transfer to airline miles, 40,000 SPG points = 50,000 miles, so this is really giving you an 8,000 mile bonus over just transferring points directly.
- For the category 4 award, typically a 5 night stay would require 40,000 points. This means that you are transferring 30,000 SPG points for 50,000 airline miles. Using the same math as above, this is giving you a 10,000 mile bonus over just transferring points directly.
The answer to the “is this a good redemption option?” really comes down to how you value SPG points and airline miles. Many people are a fan of the SPG program due to the flexibility of this program to airline miles, while others will only use the points for Starwood hotels. If we were to value SPG points at a minimum 2.5 cents/point, then by transferring the points over you are “losing” over $750 towards SPG hotels. However, this is giving you 50,000 miles which many would value at around $1,000 in airline miles. So ultimately, if you have a 5 night stay at a category 3 or 4 hotel, this could be a great way to maximize your frequent flyer account.
Some things to know:
- If you cancel the nights portion of the award, you will receive a credit back in the form of SPG points. If it was a category 3 certificate you’ll get back 20,000 points and for a category 4 certificate you’ll get back 30,000 points. The 50,000 airline portion cannot be cancelled as the points are already transferred to a partner frequent flyer account and that cannot be undone.
- It can take as long as 14 business days to transfer points to a US airline and 30 business days for a non-US airline. You do not book your flights through Starwood, but points are directly transferred to your frequent flyer account and you have free reign to do whatever you want with them.
- This option is only available with airline partners that have a 1:1 ratio. You can check out a full list of airlines here, but this means the following airlines are excluded: Air New Zealand, El Al, Iberia, LAN, United, VARIG.
- As all other reward redemption stays, you will earn elite credit for your stay, but not points.
So if both you and your significant other are able to earn 25,000 points each in your respective accounts, this will give 50,000 points required after you meet the minimum spend on the two cards. This gives you close to the right amount of points for a category 3 Night & Flight redemption option if this appeals to you! And yes, points in separate household accounts can be combined!
Credit cards to earn SPG points:
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express: Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. *Terms Apply.
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express OPEN: Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. *Terms Apply.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. My goal is for you to travel on a deal! As always, thanks for your support!