This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
This is post #7 of a series regarding the Starwood Preferred Guest hotel program.
- Perks of the Starwood Preferred Guest credit card
- Understanding Starwoods Cash & Points Redemption
- Getting your 5th Night Free with Starwood Points
- Redeeming your Points for Hotels & Flights
- Redeeming your Points for Upgraded Rooms and Suites
- Transferring your SPG Points to Airline Miles
- Transferring SPG Points Between Accounts
- Getting Starwood Status and the Perks
- How the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Annual Fee Pays for Itself
One great thing about the Starwood program is that points can be transferred between accounts for no cost. Many hotel and airline programs will allow points to be transferred to another member, but it comes with a hefty fee that usually makes it not worth it. Now there is one big caveat to this, both accounts must have the same address on file (and must have been this way for at least 30 days prior to transferring points).
You can transfer points two ways – online and by phone (1-888-625-4988). The transfer is supposed to take between 3-5 business days, but in my experience it has taken no more than 3 days. You can also transfer as many points as you so desire as often as you’d like – again for no fee!
Some examples on why you would want to transfer points:
- To combine points to have enough for a stay. Let’s say you are staying at a category 4 hotel for five nights and it requires 40,000 points. Well if you and another member in your household only have 30,000 points each, you can transfer 10,000 points from one account to another account to book the stay (thus utilizing the 5th night free option).
- If you want to use your points to transfer to a participating airline to another member in your household. Person A can transfer points to Person B and then Person B can transfer the points to his/her airline account. And remember, when transferring in increments of 20,000 points you will get a 5,000 point bonus.
Starwood will catch on if you are constantly changing your address and transferring points so just be cognizant of that. Also, if you have a Starwood timeshare, you are able to transfer to other timeshare owners outside of your household, regardless of your address on file.
Related credit card to build up your account balance:
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express: Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. *Terms Apply.
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express OPEN: Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. *Terms Apply.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. My goal is for you to travel on a deal! As always, thanks for your support!