This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
In my post a few days ago about spending $75 at Staples and getting a $25 statement credit, I mentioned that come Sunday (today) there will be an opportunity to maximize this deal as Staples is offering a $20 Staples gift card when you purchase $300 in MasterCard gift cards (after rebate).
While Staples doesn’t offer a $300 MasterCard gift card you can purchase a $100 and $200 one to get to the $300 amount needed. The $100 gift card costs $5.95 and the $200 gift card costs $6.95 as activation fees. While this will cost you $12.90 you will get a $20 Staples gift card which you can then use to purchase any item in store or another merchant gift card to use elsewhere.
To to take advantage:
- Sync your American Express card with the $25 statement credit after spending $75 offer (you must have an American Express, sync you card, and have the offer appear in your account)
- Sync either your American Express or Chase Ink Bold/Plus card with Plink (you can read more about Plink and their partnership with Staples here)
- Purchase a $100 MasterCard gift card with your synced Amex credit card – this will cost you $105.95
- Purchase a $200 MasterCard gift card with your Chase Ink Bold or Chase Ink Plus credit card – this will cost you $206.95 (update: I will be going to Staples tomorrow to ensure you can split your transaction into two different purchases – I suggest seeing instead if you can just split your transaction using two different credit cards)
- You will then get a statement credit of $25 and a Staples gift card worth $20
I will end up with… $300 in MasterCard cards (which I will then cash out via Amazon payments) + $20 Staples gift card + $25 statement credit + $3 in Plink points = $345
And I spent…. $312.90
So ultimately I am walking away with… profit of $35.10 and an extra 1,035 Ultimate Reward points (valued at $20ish), and 106 points from whatever Amex card you use (valued at about $2).
UPDATE: As a reader mentioned, you are best off paying for the $300 in one transaction and just do a split payment – $75 on the Amex card and the remaining amount of $237.90 on your Chase Ink Bold/Plus card. This will give you an extra 154 Chase Ultimate Reward points.
Not too bad for 10 minutes spent at Staples!