This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Reminder: Macy’s Friends & Family ends tonight, so you have a few more hours to take advantage. Also, they reduced the free shipping threshold to $75 from $99.
You can currently get some great savings at Macy’s with a $50+ purchase! First off, there is currently an Amex Sync promotion offering a $10 statement credit with a $50+ purchase. Macy’s Friends & Family was set to start tomorrow, but I got an email from them with the code saying you can start ordering today. And through many of the shopping portals you can get either cash back or points/miles for your purchase.
How to maximize:
- Sync your American Express card with the Macy’s promotion by going to the “Offers for You” tab in your AmericanExpress.com account. Unfortunately there is no Twitter promotion for this, so it is limited to one per account, or if you create multiple log in’s (different usernames) for all your Amex cards you can register all of them.
- Go to one of the online shopping portals:
- Chase Ultimate Rewards: 5 points per dollar spent
- American Airlines: 3 points per dollar spent
- Marriott Rewards: 3 points per dollar spent
- Ebates: 10% cash back (not 6% cash back)
- Shop Discover: 10% cash back (can only use with Discover card, so will not work for this promo)
- TopCashBack: 7% cash back
- Mr. Rebates: 6% cash back
- At Macy’s checkout use promotion code FRIEND
Since tax fluctuates per state, I am going to leave tax out in my math as it gets too complicated. Shipping is free during Friends & Family too (only for $99+ purchases, but I did not include shipping cost in my math below). So let’s say you have a $70 purchase to make, after the 25% off discount your cost is $52.50. Assuming you go through one of the 10% cash back shopping portal sites, i.e., Ebates (this is now 6%) you will get $5.25 back through that site. Since your purchase is $50 or more, you will get a $10 statement credit with American Express. American Express just sees what the total transaction is, they do not care if you use a code or go through a cash back site. So your $70 purchase ultimately will end up costing $37.25, almost half price!!
The Amex Sync promotion is for online purchases only, so if you would prefer to make an in-store purchase you can buy a gift card online to trigger the statement credit.
The Amex Sync promotion is a one-time statement credit and is valid through December 31, 2013. Macy’s Friends & Family goes through December 9, 2013.