This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
UPDATE: There is a Living Social deal where you can purchase a $50 certificate for $22.50 ($25 – 10% off using promo code TREAT). Also, many are reporting that the cash back sites will not give credit for gift card purchases or using a gift card to make a purchase. I personally have not experimented yet myself, so I cannot speak from personal experience. Make sure that when making your purchase you are okay with the price if you do not receive cash back from any of the portals. Here is some quick math of the earbuds taking into consideration the Living Social deal and if the cash back does not come through.
- Purchase the $50 Sharper Image certificate for $25 – 10% off using promotion code TREAT
- Purchase a $200 Sharper Image eGift Card using promotion code ECARD25 which will cost $150
- Add the Noise Cancelling Earbuds to your card and use promotion code AFF30, this will bring the price down to $269
- Apply the two $100 Sharper Image gift cards first, then apply the Living Social gift card number
- You will ultimately be paying $269 + 10.95 for shipping – $100 gift card – $100 gift card – $50 gift card = $29.95
- Your out of pocket cost was $150 for the eGift card + $22.50 for the Living Social + $29.95 for the balance – $25 for the Amex Sync promotion = $177.45
I recommend going through one of the online shopping sites regardless in the hopes of getting cash back, points, or miles, but no promises!
Back in November I posted about a way to get up to 46% off a Sharper Image purchase. Well I just received an email from Sharper Image letting me know that all eGift Cards are currently on sale for 25% (the expiration date for this is unclear). While 25% off is great, you can actually fully maximize this deal and ultimately get up to
- First, sync your Amex card with The Sharper Image Amex Sync promotion by tweeting #AmexSharperImg. The promotion is that if you spend $125 or more on a single transaction you will receive a statement credit for $25. Learn more here
- Second, go to TopCashback.com and search for The Sharper Image. Click on the “Get Cashback Now” option which is advertising 12% cash back. While the terms do not state that it cannot be combined with a coupon code, it doesn’t list any approved codes. Anyone have experience getting cash back while using a coupon code at The Sharper Image? No where in the terms does it state that it cannot be combined with a coupon code. Some are reporting not getting their cash back from Black Friday deals, the following portals will work though as the coupon codes are listed:
- Lastly, on The Sharper Image site, purchase $175 worth of eGift Cards (a $100 + a $75 gift card) using promotion code ECARD25. This will cost you $131.25.
With the three promotions listed above, you will ultimately be purchasing a $175 for $106.25. You will also get $15.75 back from TopCashBack.com This alone is a 48% discount, which is great for simply purchasing a gift card that you can use at a later date! However, your savings can be even great! When you go to redeem your gift card, go through these steps:
- As you did previously, access The Sharper Image site through TopCashBack.com. Again, the terms do not state using coupons will make your purchase non eligible for cash back, but it does not state any eligible coupon codes.
- Shop for your desired item and during checkout apply coupon code AFF15 which will give you $15 off a $150+ purchase. There are other coupon codes as well that you can use that might be better depending on your total purchases: AFF10 – $10 off $100; AFF15 – $15 off $150; AFF30 – $30 off $250; AFFRSHIP – free shipping with $50+ purchase. These coupon codes expire December 31, 2013.
So now if you purchased a $190 item, for example, you will get $15 off, bringing your total down to $175 which is the amount you have in gift cards. You will also receive $21 cash back on total purchase amount of $175. Keep in mind none of my math calculates tax or shipping cost as that varies based on what you purchase and where you live.
So now you are ultimately getting a $190 item for $69.50 (plus tax and shipping). This is a 63.4% discount!!!
If you are looking at getting Bose Noise Cancelling Earbuds (the headphones are sold out) that are selling for $299.99 your final price would look like this:
- $280 in gift card purchase – 25% off = $210
- 12% cash back from TopCashBack on the $210 purchase = $25.20 cash back bringing your price down to $184.80
- $25 statement credit from Amex = total price of the gift card purchase is $159.80
- When you go to purchase the item, using promotion code AFF30 will bring the price of the item down by $30 = $269.99
- Shipping cost on this item is $10.95 = Total cost is $280.90
- 12% cash back from TopCashBack on the $269.99 purchase = $32.40 cash back
So at the end of the day you are paying out of pocket $210, but getting $25 back from American Express and $56.70 back from TopCashBack. Ultimately this $299.99 item plus shipping is costing $127.40!!!!!
Some caveats to the deal:
- I believe you are allowed to use a maximum of three gift certificates per order (some are reporting 1 per order so that might require you to purchase a different denomination in gift cards) – if anyone has a different experience please comment below
- You are counting on an online shopping portal to give you the cash back – while I’ve personally had great experience with TopCashBack.com, sometimes using a coupon code can negate the transaction and this one doesn’t specify, again, please comment with any personal experiences. Other cash back portals are paying the following:
- If you want to purchase $350 or more in gift cards, divide your purchase into two and sync two different Amex cards so you an get the $25 statement credit twice!
- You might be charged sales tax depending on where you live
Anyone find any additional savings or purchase a great item?!