This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
- Free Money with Amex Sync 101: Overview and FAQs
- Free Money with Amex Sync 201: Syncing with your AmericanExpress.com Account
- Free Money with Amex Sync 301: Syncing with Twitter
- Free Money with Amex Sync 401: Purchasing Gift Cards
With many of the American Express Sync promotions you can actually purchase a gift card and that will trigger the same statement credit as if you purchased an item online or in-store. There are very few exceptions to this rule actually. Usually the gas station promotions do not work and some times purchasing an eGift card online will not work as you are purchasing through a 3rd party an Amex doesn’t recognize it as the same vendor.
Purchasing a gift card will give you a few advantages:
- It will allow you to make a future purchase post the expiration date of the deal.
- It will allow you to be flexible with the purchase price. You do not need to hit the promotion amount in a single transaction and can instead spread the gift card over multiple transactions.
- If you return the item you will not have to worry about losing the statement credit. You will just need to comply with the merchants return policy and will probably just receive a gift card back for the purchase amount.
- Many gift cards can actually be used at other stores!
- Sometimes the promotions are only valid for online purchases or in-store purchase. Purchasing a gift card allows you to then make your purchase anyway you want, online or in-store!
In my “Amex Sync” tab I’ve added a tips section for each promotion which will give you some guidance on gift card purchases for each merchant. I’ve listed when gift cards work and do not work along with some of my personal experience. I’ve also included other stores where gift cards can be used.
A few examples of when gift card purchases can be useful:
- Teavana: Spend $50+ in-store and online at www.teavana.com, get a $10 statement credit. If you purchase a $50 gift card you can actually use it at Starbucks, so it is like getting 20% off your future Starbuck purchases up to $50!
- West Elm: Spend $150+ in-store or online, get a $30 statement credit. Purchasing a gift card allows you to make multiple transactions at West Elm in case you did not have a $150 purchase to make a one time. West Elm gift cards can also be used at Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids, and William-Sonoma! If you make a gift card purchase online make sure to purchase a physical gift card and NOT an eGift card.
- Toys R Us: Spend $25+ in store or online at toysrus.com and babiesrus.com, get a $5 statement credit. Toys R Us sells other merchant gift cards, such as Amazon.com, so you can actually purchase an Amazon.com gift card at Toys R Us (in-store only) and trigger the statement credit.
- Ruby Tuesday: Spend $30+, get a $10 statement credit. Ruby Tuesday is currently offering a bonus on gift card purchases. Purchase a $25 gift card and get a $5 gift card bonus, purchase a $50 gift card and get a $15 gift card bonus. Bonus gift card valid January 2-February 28 2014. So purchase a $30 gift card and use that plus the $5 bonus gift card in January or February and you’ll get a $35 dinner for $25. Or purchase a $50 gift card now and use that plus the $15 bonus gift card in January or Feb and you will be getting a $65 dinner for $40.
Enjoy your free money and let me know if you have any questions! You can search for all the current Amex Sync promotions here.