This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Reminder: This American Express Sync opportunity ends Saturday February 15, 2014. Ultimately, you can get $300 worth of groceries for $140!
Not a travel deal, but a great coupon code plus Amex Sync promotion combo! This is the perfect example on how you can really think outside of the box and maximize those American Express Sync deals you’ve grown to love.
This post is limited to those in select areas of the Northeast as Fresh Direct (a grocery delivery service) only services New York (Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Nassau, Queens, Rockland, Staten Island, Suffolk, Westchester), New Jersey (Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Union), Connecticut (Fairfield), Pennsylvania (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia), and Delaware (New Castle).
So here is the deal:
- Sign into your AmericanExpress.com account and click the “Offers For You” tab. Click the “Save Offer” button next to the Fresh Direct offer. Some offers on AmericanExpress.com are targeted, so you might not see this offer on your page. You can read more about syncing offers with your American Express online account here. This also details how to sync offers on multiple cards.)
- To fully maximize on the promotion you will want to sync two American Express cards for this offer. To do this, you must sign into your American Express account at the same time on two different web browsers. On the first browser click on the “Offers For You” tab for card for Card A, and on the second browser click on the “Offers For You tab” for Card B. Right after each other without changing the site you are on, Save the Offer to each card. Note, this will only work with different web browsers, not when you are on different tabs within the same browser.
- Sign up for Fresh Direct via a referral offer. This will give you $50 off your first two orders. The orders must be $125+ before tax and shipping fees.
- Purchase two $100 Fresh Direct gift cards online. Purchase one at a time for $100 each with your synced American Express card. This will trigger the $30 statement credit per card – I’ve already tested it out!
- Spend $200 on gift cards, but received $60 back through statement credits ($30 per card). So ultimately the two gift cards only cost $140.
- Purchase two orders of at least $125. If you want to spend the entire gift card amount, between the two orders you must spend $300. With both orders you will receive $50 off. So you really are only paying $200 for $300 worth of groceries (you can also purchase a two month trial of fresh direct delivery pas for a penny to save on delivery fees).
- Remember though, for the $200 balance you are applying your purchased gift cards and those gift cards really cost $140.
- So ultimately, you are getting $300 worth of Fresh Direct groceries for $140.
I will take $300 in groceries any day for $140! Of course, you will need to compare the costs of Fresh Direct to your local grocery store, and it does come with a nominal delivery fee. But in NYC, Fresh Direct is many times cheaper. Fresh Direct does have coupons and deals, but not the same BOGO deals you can find in many suburban grocery stores.
Also, while the Amex Sync deal is available for anyone with an American Express card (and they were targeted for this offer), the two $50 off coupon codes that you receive is only valid for first time Fresh Direct customers. I personally have not used Fresh Direct often enough to know if you can continue to enroll under a different account name, phone number, etc., but if you have first hand experience with this comment below. Feel free to leave your Fresh Direct referral code in the comments section as well.
The Fresh Direct gift cards to not expire (although the Amex Sync promotion ends 2/15/2014, and the $50 off coupons must be redeemed by the end of this year.