This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Since 2014 just started, I decided to put together a list of deals and promotions that appeared over the past few years that I’d love to see again this year. I did this last year, and unfortunately many promotions that I hoped to return didn’t.
I have my fingers crossed for this year!
- American Airlines Double Miles and/or Double Elite Qualifying Miles – While this is a promotion that was pretty consistent for many years, I do not believe there was a public offer of this in 2013. Instead, there were targeted challenges to give members Gold, Platinum, and even Executive Platinum status! I really hope we see another public offer of this again, or I get targeted!
- American Express Small Business Saturday – Consistent for the past three years and my assumption is that it will be here to stay. Unfortunately though, this past year they downgraded the promotion from $25 to $10. It is still free money, so I cannot complain.
- American Express Syncing promotions – 2013 started pretty dry, but by the end of the year the promotions were through the roof! There were a slew of amazing promotions, including Amazon, Costco, Williams Sonoma, Staples, Toys ‘R Us, Macy’s, Sharper Image, etc. I was able to earn enough “free” money to pay for the annual fee, plus some. I am hoping that the streak in 2014 continues. I have a good feeling about it. I personally have saved over $1,500 due to these syncing promotions.
- 100,000 Mile/Point credit card sign ups – Right now the only one that qualifies is the Citi AAdvantage Executive card if you meet the minimum spend. In 2013 British Airways had a limited time 100,000 point offer and there were some targeted American Express Platinum offers out there. Aside from that, there were no major bonuses that differed from the norm. The real only enhancement we saw was the Chase Sapphire Preferred card now gives an additional 5,000 points if you add an authorized user. I really hope there are some great bonuses for 2014!
- Southwest Companion Pass – While the companion pass has been around for quite sometime, it was only in 2012 that folks were able to earn the pass quite easily with the credit card sign up offer. This was due to a change in their loyalty program from earning credits to points. Fortunately, this opportunity is still around!
- Uber Promotions – Uber has had some amazing promotions for both new and existing members. Since the company is doing so well I foresee many promotions in 2014. Already in 2014 they’ve offered free rides in New Jersey, partnered with Budlight to give away free credits, and new members receive an easy $20 sign up bonus.
- Amex Membership Reward Points to British Airways Avios Transfer Bonus – This is a promotion that we’ve seen for the past few years and is typically ran twice a year. More recently it’s been about a 20% bonus, but back in 2012 we saw a 50% bonus! I really hope for another bonus soon as I am looking to unload some American Express points.
- Purchase US Airways Miles with a 100% Bonus – This is a promotion we see about every other month, although sometimes it is targeted. While it is currently going on right now (limited to just US Airways credit card holders), I am interested to see how the remainder of the year goes with the promotion due to the merger. This is a promotion that can provide amazing value to some! I personally have not yet taken advantage.
- JetBlue Flash Sales – JetBlue offered some amazing flash sales last year, with some being up to 90% off. Of course, this was for last minute travel from NYC and only included certain destinations. And then JetBlue did offer 25% off all flights after the system has some errors! JetBlue actually has some great 10%-20% off sales often and I’d love to see those return this year.
- American Express Daily Getaways – This is a promotion that American Express runs once a year during the Spring/Summer timeframe. I believe this promotion has been going on for the past 4-5 years, maybe even longer. This is an opportunity to purchase points for cheap as well as hotel nights, attraction tickets, etc. It can be a hit or miss though.
- Club Carlson Purchasing Points Flash Sale – During the summer of 2013, Club Carlson launched a week long Flash Sale where you’d get a 75% bonus when purchasing points. Essentially, you could purchase enough points for a top tier hotel (50,000 points) for $203. While this might seem expensive for some, combine that with the free night from the Club Carlson credit card (if you have) and that means $100 a night for a two night stay. Super cheap to stay at a nice hotel in Europe, for example!
Anything else you can think of that I am missing? And these are legit deals/promotions, not mistake fares, price errors, etc. Let’s hope for a great 2014!!