This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
For those of you who are Amazon Prime members, or looking to subscribe to their yearly service, the annual fee will be increasing starting March 20, 2014. This is not a dramatic increase, in my opinion, but it will still will cost you extra $20
- Amazon Prime – increasing from $79 to $99
- Amazon Prime Student – increasing from $39 to $49
With Amazon Prime you can actually share your membership between 5 other people (not with the student rate though). However, keep in mind that additional members on the account will not be able to activate the Amazon Mom discount – which can be huge if you are constantly buying baby items! More on Amazon Mom tomorrow…
For those of you whose membership renewed prior to April 17, you’ll be locked into the current $79 for the remainder of your membership year. After that your fee will increase to $99. However, if your membership renews April 17 or after, your annual fee will go up to $99. It seems as though some have been receiving specific emails regarding future fee, so there might be some grace period for some whose membership renews April 17 or after.
I personally love Amazon Prime as it gives me free two-day shipping which I use multiple times a week! The annual fee, even at $99/year, is definitely worth it for me!
Now, via Slickdeals and Dans Deals, there is a nice loophole for those that want to lock in the $79 price for the following subscription year as well. If you buy a gift membership you can lock in the reduced rate for another year after your membership year expires.
Steps to do this properly:
- First, you will need to Edit your membership subscription. You can do this here. Select the “End Membership” button and on the next screen select “End Later.” The date it ends will depend on your specific account. This will allow you to keep your membership till that date, but ensure it does not auto-renew.
- Buy an Amazon Prime Subscription Gift. When you go to checkout for this purchase you are able to select the date you want the Amazon Prime gift delivered to the recipient. Select the date after your current Amazon subscription ends. So if it ends October 28, 2014, select October 29, 2014.
If you are new to Amazon and have been thinking about getting the membership, as long as you purchase the membership by March 19, 2014, you can lock in the cheaper rate for an entire year. However, before you go ahead and just purchase an Amazon Prime subscription, you are might as well sign up for a free trial. You can always cancel the trial if you feel you are not getting the value. After the trial you will then pay the $79 rate for the year (or $39 for the Amazon student trial).
- Amazon Prime Trial – free 30 day trial
- Amazon Mom Trial – free 3 month trial
- Amazon Student Trial – free 6 month trial!
Going through the Loophole above will take about a minute of your time and well worth it to save $20! I’ll write more about Amazon Mom and Amazon Student tomorrow.