This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
At the end of 2013, I wrote about the unfortunate news that American Express Platinum cardholders were going to lose American Airlines and US Airways lounge access starting March 22, 2014.
I know many are very disappointed about this change in perks, myself included, but the good news is that American Express was offering cardholders anywhere between $100 and $500 credit to use on American Airlines or US Airways “incidental” purchases. I personally was only targeted for the $100 credit. If you did not receive any communication from American Express regarding this, I highly suggest you call to find out your targeted offer. This credit opportunity started this past Saturday March 22nd.
This credit is in addition to the $200 yearly incidental credit you already receive. The only difference is that this credit is only valid with American Airlines and US Airways purchases. Incidental credits include:
- Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
- One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Club lounges
- Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees like baggage fees or flight change fees (I was told from an Amex representative that it will work exactly the same as the annual $200 reimbursement benefit)
You should receive a statement credit within a few days after your qualifying purchase is made.
Going forward, your American Express Platinum card will still give you access to the following airport lounge networks:
- Participating Delta Sky Club® lounges
- Priority Pass(TM) Select: When you enroll in Priority Pass(TM) Select, you can access over 600 participating airport lounges worldwide – no matter what class or airline you fly
- Airspace Lounges in New York (JFK), Cleveland (CLE) and the Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) airports (learn more at airspacelounge.com)
- American Express is also excited to announce that Platinum/Business Platinum Card Members now have complimentary, unlimited access to the Centurion Lounges as a new benefit. This benefit began on September 30, 2013. The current lounges are in the Las Vegas McCarran airport and the Dallas/Fort-Worth airport. The lounges are the first of several American Express airport lounges that will open in major U.S. cities, and offer complimentary gourmet food, signature cocktails and curated wines, high speed Wi-Fi, a computer bar, and more. For more information, visit thecenturionlounge.com.
Remember to claim your extra incidental credits!