This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Last week I posted about two way to get some free money at Staples. This included doing the following:
- Syncing your Amex card(s) with the “Spend $100, get $20 statement credit promo” (blog post here) – note that enrollment via Twitter has already met it’s maximum, but you might still be able to sync your card via your AmericanExpress.com account
- Purchase $300 Visa gift cards and get a $20 Visa gift card after rebate promo (blog post here)
Well I just took advantage of the above two promotions in one single transaction and had great success! I learned some tips along the way that I’d like to share as well.
First to quickly recap on how to maximize on the deal:
- Sync ALL of your American Express cards with the $20 statement credit after spending $100 offer (you must have an American Express, have already synced you card via Twitter, or try to sync your card via your AmericanExpress.com account)
- Purchase a $200 and $100 Visa gift card at Staples – this will cost you $312.90
- Pay for your single transaction using up to three of your synced Amex cards (you will make the most money by using three Amex’s) – if you have less than 3 synced Amex cards, put $100 on each of your Amex’s and the rest on a Chase Ink Bold or Chase Ink Plus to maximize the 5x bonus points
I ended up with… $300 in Visa cards (which I will then cash out via Amazon payments) + $20 Visa card (again will be cashed out via Amazon payments) + $20 statement credit with SPG Amex card + $20 statement credit with Amex Platinum card + $20 statement credit with Hilton Amex. The statement credits on the Amex cards will take a few days based on my experience. In total, this equals $380 in cash.
And I spent…. $312.90
So ultimately I walked away with… A profit of $67.10 – this is with utilizing three synced Amex cards. No synced Amex cards = $7.10 profit; 1 synced Amex card = $27.10 profit; 2 synced Amex cards = $47.10 profit.
Some tips for the deal:
- The Visa gift cards totaling $300 MUST be part of the same purchase/transaction – making separate transactions will NOT trigger the rebate
- Staples CAN split a transaction using three different credit cards – if the cashier is not sure how to do that, ask for a manager to do it for you
- If you are using a Chase Ink card or Amex SimplyCash card, to earn more points, you can instead purchase two $200 MasterCard gift cards – this will give you 500 more Ultimate Reward points or cash back and only cost you an extra $1
- You should receive an email from American Express within minutes after your purchase with the subject line stating “Thanks for using your enrolled card”
- You will need to fill out the Staples rebate form online to earn the $20 Visa gift card
Not too bad for 10 minutes spent at Staples! Where you able to take advantage?!