This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Last week I posted about two way to get some free money at Staples. This included doing the following:
- Syncing your Amex card(s) with the “Spend $100, get $20 statement credit promo” (blog post here) – note that enrollment via Twitter has already met it’s maximum, but you might still be able to sync your card via your AmericanExpress.com account
- Purchase $300 Visa gift cards and get a $20 Visa gift card after rebate promo (blog post here)
Well I just took advantage of the above two promotions in one single transaction and had great success! I learned some tips along the way that I’d like to share as well.
First to quickly recap on how to maximize on the deal:
- Sync ALL of your American Express cards with the $20 statement credit after spending $100 offer (you must have an American Express, have already synced you card via Twitter, or try to sync your card via your AmericanExpress.com account)
- Purchase a $200 and $100 Visa gift card at Staples – this will cost you $312.90
- Pay for your single transaction using up to three of your synced Amex cards (you will make the most money by using three Amex’s) – if you have less than 3 synced Amex cards, put $100 on each of your Amex’s and the rest on a Chase Ink Bold or Chase Ink Plus to maximize the 5x bonus points
I ended up with… $300 in Visa cards (which I will then cash out via Amazon payments) + $20 Visa card (again will be cashed out via Amazon payments) + $20 statement credit with SPG Amex card + $20 statement credit with Amex Platinum card + $20 statement credit with Hilton Amex. The statement credits on the Amex cards will take a few days based on my experience. In total, this equals $380 in cash.
And I spent…. $312.90
So ultimately I walked away with… A profit of $67.10 – this is with utilizing three synced Amex cards. No synced Amex cards = $7.10 profit; 1 synced Amex card = $27.10 profit; 2 synced Amex cards = $47.10 profit.
Some tips for the deal:
- The Visa gift cards totaling $300 MUST be part of the same purchase/transaction – making separate transactions will NOT trigger the rebate
- Staples CAN split a transaction using three different credit cards – if the cashier is not sure how to do that, ask for a manager to do it for you
- If you are using a Chase Ink card or Amex SimplyCash card, to earn more points, you can instead purchase two $200 MasterCard gift cards – this will give you 500 more Ultimate Reward points or cash back and only cost you an extra $1
- You should receive an email from American Express within minutes after your purchase with the subject line stating “Thanks for using your enrolled card”
- You will need to fill out the Staples rebate form online to earn the $20 Visa gift card
Not too bad for 10 minutes spent at Staples! Where you able to take advantage?!