This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
I just came across another great Amex offer where if you spend $100 or more at Staples, you’ll get a $15 statement credit. This is also for online purchases only at Staples.com (not in-store) and September 30, 2014.
I tried to see if it is available on Twitter, but unfortunately it does not look to be the case. As of right now, I only see this offer available via AmericanExpress.com, which means you might not see it available in all of your accounts. Although I did see the offer available on all the accounts I manage, so fingers crossed. Twitter is better as that means it is available to everyone and you can take advantage with multiple cards.
To sync your Amex card to this promotion:
- Sign into your AmericanExpress.com account and go to the “Amex Offers For You” tab
- Find the Staples offer and make sure to select the “Save Offer” button (not everyone will see this promotion in their account unfortunately)
If you see this offer on multiple cards, make sure to follow these instructions first on how to sync multiple cards. Do not clic the “Save Offer” button right away!
Taking advantage of this offer:
- While the terms state the eGift cards are excluded, you can purchase a physical gift card that will be sent to you in the mail for $100 and still receive the $15 statement credit. Staples.com sells both Staples gift cards along with a slew of other merchant gift cards (i.e., Nordstrom, iTunes, Kohls, Bed Bath & Beyond, Lowe’s, etc.). The only catch to this is that physical gift cards come with a $1.99 fee, so if you purchase a flat $100 gift card your “profit” will really be $13.01.
- Purchase a free after rebate item. Many times Staples sells many items that ultimately end up being free after you submit a rebate for the exact same amount you paid. American Express just sees the amount you pay for the item on your synced card and doesn’t care/know if you are getting a check back for the purchased amount. So that is one way to potentially get $15 essentially free.
- Go through an online shopping portal. Many online shopping portals will give you cash back, points, or miles for your purchase. TopCashBack.com currently gives 3% cash back, Ultimate Rewards 2 points/$1, American Airlines 2 miles/$1, Marriott Rewards 2 points/$1, and Southwest Airlines 2 points/$1. The portals all changed the terms, however, that you will no longer receive points/miles/cash back on gift card purchases (but let me know if you’ve had any successful experience in this).
To learn more about these American Express Sync promotions, read this Amex Sync series:
- Amex Sync 101: Overview and Q&A
- Amex Sync 201: Syncing with AmericanExpress.com
- Amex Sync 301: Syncing with Twitter
- Amex Sync 401: Purchasing Gift Cards
You can check out all the other current Amex Sync promos here. Enjoy!