This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
As most of you are probably well aware, at some point in 2015, US Airways and American Airlines will become one airline and points earned from the US Airways program will transfer over to American Airline miles. At some point prior to that date (exact date still TBD) the US Airways points and miles earning credit card will no longer be available. This means there is a limited amount of time left to increase your American Airlines/US Airways account balance with a single credit card sign up.
I personally received a targeted piece of mail a few weeks ago offering me a 50,000 mile bonus for signing up for the US Airways MasterCard. This is currently the best offer for the card, especially since there is no minimum spend requirement and to get the bonus all you need to do is make one purchase on the card pay the annual fee of $89.
UPDATE: A new limited time offer was just announced where the targeted offer is now available for everyone! Now, everyone can receive 40,000 miles after making a single purchase and paying the $89 annual fee. Application link.
Card Member benefits:
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee*
- First checked bag free on eligible bags for you and up to four companions on domestic US Airways operated flights
- One companion certificate good for up to 2 guests to travel with you on a US Airways operated flight at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
- Priority boarding Zone 2 on US Airways operated flights
- Redeem miles for award travel on US Airways and American Airlines booked through usairways.com or US Airways Reservations
- Earn miles on every purchase with 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways and American Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 on purchases everywhere else
- New! Receive a 25% savings on eligible US Airways and American Airlines in-flight purchases
- Please see terms and conditions for complete details
And one of the best perks of the card is that when you redeem for award travel, you’ll get a 5,000 mile discount for US Airways flights. Of course, once this card goes away and turns into an American Airlines AAdvantage MasterCard from Barclaycard, that benefit is going away. The annual $99 companion pass benefit is also vanishing. But for now, you an still book flights now to get the benefit even if travel is not until 2015.
Personally, I applied for the card for the miles as they will eventually become AAdvantage miles and that is my loyalty program of choice. There are only so many ways to earn miles so I wanted to jump on this opportunity before it goes away.
- US Airways MasterCard: Earn 40,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee. Receive 10,000 miles after your first anniversary of account opening.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As always, thanks for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal!