This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Hilton is going through their quarterly re-categorization of hotel categories. Typically, this is bad news for the consumer, but in this case it is neither good nor bad. Overall, 12 hotels are going up a category and 5 hotels are going down a category. While more are increasing than decreasing, the hotels going down a category are more desirable than the ones going up. So this could actually be a benefit for some.
12 hotels increasing a category:
- Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam – going from category 9 to 10
- Hilton Garden Inn Krakow – going from category 3 to 4
- Doubletree by Hilton The Point Hotel – going from category 4 to 6
- Hilton Edinburgh Airport Hotel – going from category 5 to 6
- Alexandra Barcelona – going from category 6 to 7
- Hampton Inn Richmond Airport / Sandston – going from category 2 to 3
- DoubleTree by Hilton Phoenix Gilbert – going from category 4 to 5
- DoubleTree by Hilton Asheville – Biltmore – going from category 5 to 6
- Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale / Airport – going from category 5 to 6
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Long Island City – going from category 5 to 6
- Hilton Biltmore Park – going from category 6 to 7
- Hampton Inn & Suites Destin – going from category 6 to 7
5 hotels decreasing a category:
- Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa – going from category 10 to 9
- Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville – going from category 6 to 5
- Hilton Waikoloa Village – going from category 7 to 6
- DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge – going from category 8 to 7
- DoubleTree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa – going from category 9 to 8
While it is unfortunate to see the Waldorf Astoria in Amsterdam going to a category 10, I am not surprised as I’ve read some amazing reviews. I am really glad, however, to see options in Bora Bora, Hawaii, Breckenridge, and Miami becoming more obtainable.
If you are planning a visit to any of the hotels increasing in category, make sure to make those reservations prior to January 14, 2015. If you have an upcoming stay at one of the hotels going down a category, you can cancel and rebook to get some points back.