This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
I just received an email from TopCashBack letting me know that for TODAY ONLY, you can purchase American Express gift cards through their online shopping portal and get 2.25% cash back. While this probably is not worthwhile for most of you, it is great for those that have Targets new REDCard or like to participate in other manufactured spend opportunities. You are able to load those REDCards with an Amex gift card (or any other gift card or credit card) up to $2,500 a day and $5,000 a month.
So let’s say you purchase $5,000, you can make the purchase with your credit card (get 5,000 points) and $112 cash back through TopCashBack.com. You will also be charged $16.85 total for processing and shipping charges. You can then unload the gift card to your REDCard at Target. This will not work to load to Bluebird, and I am not sure about Serve. Also, some folks reported a months or so ago that they were not able to load these cards at their local Target. This seems like a case by case basis and maybe the cashier didn’t know how to put it through or there was some glitch with the register, but as a typical rule of thumb, these gift cards should be able to load. Many readers have reported success as well. Just wanted to throw that disclaimer out as some readers have reported issues.
Some things to know:
- Do not use a promotion code or else you will not receive the cash back. You will be charged $3.95 per gift card regardless if you purchase a $25 or $2,000 card.
- Denominations over $2,000 are not eligible for cash back
- Do not use a Citibank credit card, you will most likely get charged a cash advance fee
- eGift Card from American Express® is not eligible for cash back.
- You will be charged a shipping fee of $8.95 regardless of the number of gift cards you purchase.
- There is a $10,000 limit on Consumer Gift Cards and $100,000 limit on Business Gift Cards per 14 days.
To see a complete guide of purchasing Amex gift cards through a Cash Back portal and some other ideas on how to unload them (if you do not have Target REDCard and looking for other alternatives), make sure to check out Frequent Miler’s complete guide.