This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
While there are many perks to having a hotel co-branded credit card, one of my favorite benefits is being able to earn automatic status or stays/nights towards status. Here is a compiled list of many of the popular hotel credit cards, including the status you get for just having the card and the status you can obtain by spending on the card.
- Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express:
- Status for just having the card: 2 stays and 5 nights annually towards status. This is credited to your account at the beginning of the calendar year. Also, if you have both the personal card and the business card that will double the number of stays/nights you receive a year making it that much easier to earn status.
- Status for spending on the card: If you spend $30,000 per year on the card, get an automatic upgrade to Gold status
- Card info: Personal Card Application link; Business Card Application link; Blog Post
- Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card:
- Status for just having the card: Receive 15 nights annually towards status, which gives you automatic Silver status. This is credited after each anniversary with the card.
- Status for spending on the card: For every $3,000 spend on the card, you’ll earn 1 night towards status. This means you need to spend $180,000 on the card to earn Platinum status or $105,000 to earn Gold status (assuming no other qualifying nights)
- Card info: Application link for elite members; Application link for non-elite members. Blog Post
- Marriott Rewards Credit Card: This is the non-premier version.
- Status for just having the card: Receive 10 nights annually towards status, which gives you automatic Silver status. This is credited after each anniversary with the card.
- Status for spending on the card: For every $3,000 spend on the card, you’ll earn 1 night towards status.
- Card info: Application link; Blog Post
- The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card:
- Status for just having the card: Gold status for the first year of card membership
- Status for spending on the card: Receive Gold status after you spend $10,000 on the card and Platinum status after you spend $75,000 in each card membership year
- Card info: Application link
- Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card:
- Hilton HHonors American Express Card:
- Hilton HHonors Surpass American Express Card:
- Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Citi Credit Card:
- IHG Rewards Club Select Visa
- Club Carlson:
Keep in mind that some status is better than others. For example, I personally don’t value Hyatt Platinum too high (mid-tier level status), but Hilton Gold (mid-tier level status) is great! I also do not think Club Carlson Gold status gives you much value, although the card has many other benefits that are worthwhile. And while Starwood will not give you any status right off the bat, the ability to earn Gold status can be very valuable. If you are looking to manufacture spend, I personally think the best (and easiest) opportunities are with the Starwood American Express Credit Card (Gold status), The Ritz-Carlton Credit Card (Platinum status), the Hilton HHonors Surpass American Express Card (Diamond status), and the Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Citi Credit Card (Diamond status). Of course it all depends on your typical travel preferences and which hotels you are staying in throughout the year to earn stays/nights towards status.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As always, thanks for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal!