This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
I first wrote about the Chime Card back in September and since then have written about a few of their offers on a monthly basis as well as this cable bill offer that is still active. For those new to this card, it is a debit card and gives similar type deals to the American Express Offers. By shopping at participating merchants with your Chime Visa debit card you receive money back and unlike Amex Offers you do not need to sync or register your card in advance. Although offers are limited so they are available as a first come first serve. For those new to this type of savings, I’ll explain more below.
Many offers just ended yesterday (which I wrote about here), and with that a whole new batch of offers appeared in my account this morning. These offers are set to expire March 15, 2015 and include:
- McDonalds – Spend $7, get $1 back
- Express – Spend $30, get $3 back
- Anthropologie – Spend $50, get $5 back
- Bed, Bath and Beyond – Spend $50, get $5 back
- Gap – Spend $30, get $5 back
- Bath & Body Works – Spend $20, get $3 back
- Olive Garden – Spend $25, get $3 back
- Applebee’s – Spend $25, get $3 back
- Everlane – Spend $30, get $5 back
I am personally excited for these new deals as there are a few merchants that I shop at quite often! You can also purchase a gift card at the merchant to use at a future time and still trigger the statement credit. For example, you can go into the Gap and purchase a $30 gift card and get $5 back on your Chime card within a few minutes. This gift card can then be used at Old Navy, Banana Republic, or Athleta. I also believe an Olive Garden gift card can be used at LongHorn Steakhouse, Bahama Breeze, Seasons 52, The Capital Grille, Eddie V’s, Yard House and Red Lobster – just make sure to purchase it at an Olive Garden store because I am not sure if buying online purchases through a 3rd party and codes it as Olive Garden or Darden Restaurants. And a Bed, Bath and Beyond gift card can be used at Buy Buy Baby. I will absolutely be taking advantage of the Bed, Bath and Beyond, Gap, and Anthrolopologie offers!
New to Chime? While you can find all details on the Chime card in this prior post, here is a synopsis:
- What is the Chime Card? A debit card where you must apply and enter your SS#. It is a soft inquiry, which will not affect your credit score.
- How do I apply? Apply here. You will receive a free $10 after you load your card with $50 or more. To get this you must sign up through a referral link. This is my personal referral link, but feel free to leave your own in the comments section. If approved you will not be able to take advantage of any of the offers until your card comes in the mail. In the meantime, however, you can setup your account online, download the Chime app, and fund your card.
- How do I unload my money from the card? Use your card at any merchant that accepts Visa! You can also purchase gift cards, i.e., Amazon.com, if you want to get the money off fast to use for future purchases. You can withdraw your money at an ATM (up to $500/day) but there is a $2.50 fee per transaction on domestic ATMs. You might also incur a fee from the ATM provider directly.
- What are the fees for this card? If there is no activity on your card for 180 you will be charged $5. Activity can be as simple as a $1 purchase or a $1 transfer from PayPal, but there still needs to be some activity. A $5 fee can add up so make sure to remember this! This card comes with a 3% foreign transaction fee.
- How do I take advantage of the Chime offers? The main purpose of this card is to receive money back with participating offers, not to use at everyday merchants. When you see an offer, it will tell you how many are left. Surprisingly, not many people use Chime, so even if you see there are only 50 transactions left for that one offer, it could take weeks to meet. Before you shop though, make sure there are at least a few transactions left to ensure you will get the money back to your Chime account. Each offer is only available once per card. One thing to note – purchasing gift cards typically works to trigger the cash back. If online, just make sure you are purchasing through the store directly and not a third-party merchant (which is typically with eGift cards but not physical plastic gift cards).
Overall, I found the process with applying and using the card incredibly easy. I’ve been able to take advantage of about 2 offers a month at merchants I shop at anyways. While this is not a huge money making opportunity, I believe I will save about $100-$200 over the course of the year. Not so bad for hardly any effort!