This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
This is post #3 of a series regarding the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) program.
- Free Night Annually with the IHG Credit Card
- Various Ways to Earn IHG Points
- Understanding IHG PointBreak Offers
- Earning Status with IHG and What Does it Get You
IHG has one of the best award redemptions in the entire hotel industry – PointBreak awards. These are reduced award opportunities where participating hotels only require 5,000 points for a free night! The participating hotel list changes every few months and you can always check out the current properties here.
Participating properties are throughout the entire InterContinental Hotels Group chain, which includes Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, EVEN Hotels, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn & Suites, Staybridge Suites, and Candlewood Suites. Typically, these hotels can cost anywhere between 10,000 to 60,000 points a night. So a fixed 5,000 points a night is a steal!
Typically the participating hotels are at the lower end properties, but there are usually a few higher end Crowne Plaza or InterContinental hotel included. These PointBreak hotels can be found in all geographic locations, including the United States, Europe, Asia, Middle East & Africa, Central & South America, Mexico, Canada, and Oceania.
A few things to note with hotels on the PointBreak list:
- You can book a maximum of two PointBreak reservations per account every time a new list is announced
- Hotels go quickly and award space is not always available, so book the day they are announced (if you know your plans!)
- The new PointBreak list is typically released every two months and many of the blogs will let you know when the new list is out
If you can purchase points at a discount, there are many times you can purchase 5,000 points for as low as $28! Also, if you have the IHG Rewards Club Select Visa Credit Card you get 10% of your points redeemed back to your account, so that means instead of paying 5,000 points for the free night, you are really only paying 4,5000 points which is even better!
Overall, if there is a participating hotel that you are looking to stay at, this is by far the best redemption value ever!
- IHG Rewards Club Select Visa Credit Card – Earn 60,000 points after you spend $1,000 within the first three months. Receive a free night certificate annually (starting with your second year as a card member). No annual fee the first year, then $49/year. Card application link.