This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Starting August 11, 2015, Starwood is adding some new benefits to both their personal and business co-branded credit cards. There are four new benefits in total, and in my opinion there is one new benefit that really stands out. While the business version of the card will receive all four new benefits, the personal version of the card will only receive three of them (and not the best new benefit, in my opinion)
- Personal link: Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
- Business link: Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express
The new benefits include:
- No Foreign Transaction Fees. While many other cards have been waiving the foreign transaction fees for awhile now, many American Express cards (this one included) still charged a few percentage points when using the card internationally. This meant I never used my Starwood card overseas, even if I was staying at a Starwood hotel. Now that there will be no foreign transaction fees for both cards, this will allow folks to use the co-branded card during Starwood stays to reap the double points perk.
- Boingo Wi-Fi. Both cards will now give you complimentary access to use Boingo’s wireless access. Personally, this isn’t a deal breaker for me as many places are offering free WiFi. But if you are one that typically pays for Boingo WiFi or have a monthly subscription, this will help you save some money.
- Premium In-Room Internet Access. Both cards will not give you the upgraded premium internet access when staying at a Starwood hotel. This is already complimentary for those with Gold and Platinum members. Also, even if you do not have Starwood status, as long as you book your hotel directly with Starwood, you’ll receive free in-room internet access, it just might not be the upgraded premium access. Again, not the biggest added benefit, but still a nice enhancement for simply having the card.
- Free Access to Sheraton Club Lounges. This benefit is only being extended to those with the Starwood Preferred Guest Business card (not personal card members). In my opinion this is a huge perk to the card. This is a benefit that is already given to those with Platinum status, but now everyone can enjoy lounge access regardless of status. Remember though, this is only for Sheraton hotels. While lounges can be spotty throughout the US, I’ve found international lounges to be top notch at Sheraton hotels. I absolutely would have loved being able to use the lounge when I visited the Sheraton Krabi in Thailand. This probably would have saved me close to $100!
Even with the increased annual fee, I still find this card very valuable. I find Starwood points one of the strongest currencies. Their Cash + Points option is hands down one of the best values when redeeming points and there are many top notch hotels within the Starwood chain. Also, there is much flexibility with this program since you can also transfer points to participating airlines with a 1:1 ratio (most airlines) and receive a 5,000 bonus for every 20,000 points you transfer. I also do not mind paying an annual fee on an American Express credit card since I earn back the annual fee plus more every year with the numerous American Express statement credit offers that I write about often!
If you are new to the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program, here is everything you need to know:
- Perks of the Starwood Preferred Guest credit card
- Understanding Starwoods Cash & Points Redemption
- Getting your 5th Night Free with Starwood Points
- Redeeming your Points for Hotels & Flights
- Redeeming your Points for Upgraded Rooms and Suites
- Transferring your SPG Points to Airline Miles
- Transferring SPG Points Between Accounts
- Getting Starwood Status and the Perks
- How the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Annual Fee Pays for Itself
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express: Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. *Terms Apply.
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express OPEN: Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. *Terms Apply.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. My goal is for you to travel on a deal! As always, thanks for your support!