This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Last month I wrote about a great opportunity to get a $20 gift card for free to Sam’s Club which can then be used at Walmart if desired. This was through an American Express statement credit offer which doesn’t expire until September 30, 2015 although registration has already hit its maximum. The offer is ultimately giving you a $20 statement credit on a $20+ purchase. So if you make a $20 purchase on the button, your purchase is FREE!
A few weeks after I wrote about this opportunity, it then came to my attention that Sam’s Club starting to charge a shipping fee on purchasing gift cards online. This ultimately made it not worth it and instead I suggested purchasing another merchants gift card (due to no fees) or tangible products through the site.
Well… I am happy to report that Sam’s Club is now back to offering free shipping on Sam’s Club gift cards. The only caveat is that it looks like they have done away with the $20 gift card and the lowest one available is $50. Still a great deal if you have multiple American Express credit cards since you can use up to two Amex cards in a single transaction and get the $20 statement credit on both.
Ultimately, here are some items to purchase to maximize the deal. To trigger the statement credit, your total transaction must be at least $20. American Express doesn’t care what you purchase, they just see the final price on your statement. Here are some ideas though:
- Purchase Sam’s Club gift cards. Right now, the only available gift card amount is $50. Since the offer doesn’t expire until the end of September, you could wait to see if the $20 gift cards come available. As previously mentioned, if you have multiple Amex cards, you can use two cards per transaction and ultimately receive a $40 statement credit. If you are not a Sam’s Club member, you’ll be charged a 10% surcharge (that goes for all purchases). However, if you have a California address for your account that is waived and you can still ship the item to another address/state. You can purchase a Sam’s Club gift card here.
- Purchase an American Express Gift Card: Purchase a $50 American Express gift card for $54.65 plus a shipping fee. After the $20 statement credit, this will cost you only $32.38 plus whatever shipping costs. You can then use the $50 gift card as cash at any merchant that accepts American Express. Or, if you have two Amex cards, you’ll receive a $40 statement credit, thus costing you only $12.38 + shipping. Either way, this will earn you free money, although you’ll be losing about $10 of the statement credit to fees! You can purchase a Vanilla Mastercard gift card here.
- Purchase another merchants Gift Card at a discount: Sam’s Club (similar to Costco and BJ’s) sells gift cards to many other merchants at a discount. From what I see online, gift cards go anywhere for between 1% to 10% off. A few examples: Purchase a $50 UNO’s gift card for $39.98. With the $20 statement credit, the $50 gift card will end up costing you only $19.98, giving you a 60% discount. Or, you could purchase a $100 Southwest gift card for $96.98. With the $20 statement credit, the $100 gift card will cost you $76.98, about a 23% discount. If you do not have a Sam’s Club membership, you are not able to purchase eGift cards. From what I see, all merchant gift cards ship for free. For now at least – this could always change! You can purchase merchant gift cards here.
- Purchase everyday items: Find $20 or $40 worth of items that you need anyways and use up to two American Express credit cards. You can search on SamsClub.com here. This can be anything from diapers to printer ink to kids toys to folding chairs. Sam’s Club pretty much sells everything, so as long as you can purchase it online (and isn’t only available for in-store) then you can buy it and receive the $20 statement credit per card. I suggest to look for items with free shipping as you don’t want to lose a lot of the credit you receive to shipping costs.
Some things to note:
- Use multiple Amex credit cards in one transaction: To maximize your purchase, you can use up to two American Express cards per purchase. You will need to add the two cards during the “Payment” process and selecting the two boxes to the left of the card. A popup screen will then appear asking you how you want to split the payment.
- Sign up for a guest account with a California address. If you have a California address, you will NOT be charged the 10% surcharge. You can always have the item shipped to a different address than what is on your account.
- If it is trying to get you to purchase a membership. You can always uncheck the box and the $45 charge will be removed prior to checkout.
I already purchased one Sam’s Club gift card right when this promotion came out to test the waters and it worked perfectly. While the gift card did take a few weeks to arrive, I was able to activate it easily, and I saw the $20 statement credit already appear. I will personally be purchasing $50 Sam’s Club gift cards using two Amex cards per transaction since I can then use the gift cards at Walmart and shop there often enough.