This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
I just received an email from InterContinental Hotels Group that their 5,000 point a night PointBreak hotels will be available to book starting Monday July 27, 2015. As of right now there are only a handful of participating properties listed, but come tomorrow the entire preview list will be available. These properties are available through October 31, 2015. You can check out the PointBreak hotel list tomorrow. The page will not be working until tomorrow.
At the participating properties, you can get a free night at participating InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites for only 5,000 points a night! This is an unbelievable offer and participant properties seem to rotate every few months or so. Typically, do not expect there to be many high end properties on the list. Most hotels are outside major cities and along highways, but you still might find a great hotel for your needs! You can learn more about IHG’s PointBreak offers here.
Here is a sneak peak of the 160 or so properties that will be included:
- InterContinental® hotel Mendoza, Argentina
- Crowne Plaza® ANA hotel Wakkanai, Hokkaido, Japan
- Hotel Indigo® hotel Atlanta Airport – College Park, Georgia, United States
- Holiday Inn® hotel Bucaramanga- Cacique, Colombia, South America
- Holiday Inn Express® hotel Hamburg City Centre, Hamburg, Germany
- Staybridge Suites® hotel Great Falls, Montana, United States
- Candlewood Suites® hotel Victoria, Texas, United States
For those also with a zero account balance, there are a few good ways to earn points to redeem for the 5,000 point hotel:
- IHG Rewards Credit Card – Earn 60,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first three months. Annual fee is $49/year (waived the first year), and after each account anniversary you’ll receive a free night to use at any IHG hotels. Related blog post detailing card offer and benefits. Related blog post detailing how to get an extra 10,000 points!
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards – You can transfer your Chase UR points at a 1:1 ratio, although compared to the other transfer partners it is not a great value. But if this is your only way to get the 5,000 points then it can definitely be worthwhile.
- Purchasing IHG points – You can also always “purchase” points at .7 cents per point through a roundabout method. To do this you must make a reservation using the “Cash & Points” option (so you must have enough points for that reservation) and if you cancel the reservation you will get the “Cash” portion back in points. The “Cash” portion of your reservation is essentially like buying points at .7 cents per point. Obviously not good for those that want the cash back, but good for those that want more points.
PointBreak reservations go fast, so if there is a hotel you are interested in, I suggest booking on Monday when they come available. Also, IHG only allows you to book two PointBreak reservations per account.
You can learn more about the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) program here:
- Free Night Annually with the IHG Credit Card
- Various Ways to Earn IHG Points
- “Buying” IHG Points for .7 Cents/Point
- Understanding IHG PointBreak Offers
- Utilizing the IHG Friends & Family Rate
Enjoy your discounted nights!