This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Yesterday I announced that the IHG PointBreak list was available, but you’d have to hold off on making any reservations. Well… reservations are now open for the new participating IHG PointBreak hotels! PointBreak reservations go fast, so if there is a hotel you are interested in, I suggest booking now. This time around, this list of PointBreak hotels are available January 25 through April 30, 2016.
What Are PointBreak Hotels?
PointBreak hotels are through the IHG Rewards Club where you can get a free night at participating InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites for only 5,000 points a night!
What Properties are Included?
IHG has a list of all the properties included here. None of them excite me much, but they might work for you!
Need to Earn More IHG Points?
For those also with a zero account balance, there are a few good ways to earn points to redeem for the 5,000 point hotel:
- IHG Rewards Credit Card – Earn 60,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first three months. Annual fee is $49/year (waived the first year), and after each account anniversary you’ll receive a free night to use at any IHG hotels. Related blog post detailing card offer and benefits.
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards – You can transfer your Chase UR points at a 1:1 ratio, although compared to the other transfer partners it is not a great value. But if this is your only way to get the 5,000 points then it can definitely be worthwhile.
- Purchasing IHG points – You can also always “purchase” points at .7 cents per point through a roundabout method. To do this you must make a reservation using the “Cash & Points” option (so you must have enough points for that reservation) and if you cancel the reservation you will get the “Cash” portion back in points. The “Cash” portion of your reservation is essentially like buying points at .7 cents per point. Obviously not good for those that want the cash back, but good for those that want more points.
Learn More About the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) Program:
- Free Night Annually with the IHG Credit Card
- Various Ways to Earn IHG Points
- “Buying” IHG Points for .7 Cents/Point
- Understanding IHG PointBreak Offers
- Utilizing the IHG Friends & Family Rate
Enjoy your discounted nights!