This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
UPDATE: This offer has expired. You can learn more about the current offers here.
Last week I wrote about two different Hilton credit card offers from American Express:
- Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express: Get 75,000 Hilton HHonors points after spending $1,000 on the card within the first three months. No annual fee. This offer expires May 4, 2016. Related Blog Post
- Hilton HHonors™ Surpass® Card from American Express: Earn 100,000 Hilton HHonors points after spending $3,000 on the card within the first three months. $75 annual fee. This offer expires May 4, 2016. Related Blog Post
The offers for these two cards change from time to time, but as of date, these are the highest offers we’ve ever seen for the cards. There are many people who have applied for these cards in the past few months and are now wondering if they can get American Express to match their bonus to the current offer. As a typical rule of thumb, American Express does not match sign up bonuses, even if it was only within a few days. With that being said, there are always exceptions to the rule and if you can get a nice supervisor you might be surprised! Many readers were able to have success last month during the highest ever Starwood credit card offer, so it is worth a try!
I’ve had a bunch of readers email me telling me of their success (and not success) with getting a bonus match. It seems to be pretty split down the middle. But here are some things I am finding:
- To request a match, you must call American Express. Messaging them through the online chat on your AmericanExpress.com account will not do anything. Upon calling, you will speak to a customer service representative, they do not have the authority to do anything. Explain your situation and then ask to speak to a supervisor.
- Explain to the supervisor that you’ve been an American Express cardmember for awhile now and that you are hoping they can match to the new bonus offer. Explain that you just recently received the card and only received a X bonus offer (whatever the offer was during the time you applied), and that the offer is now 75,000 or 100,000 points (depending on the Hilton card you applied for).
- If they say no, I would keep on pushing them. Tell them you know other friends and family members in the same situation has been able to receive the bonus points. If no luck, you can always hang up and try again.
Feel free to report your success in the comments below. I would also do this sooner than later. And remember, if you already have one of the cards above, you are still eligible to apply and earn the bonus points for the other version, upon approval and meeting the minimum spend requirement.
*Terms and limitations apply.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links. As always, thank you for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal!