This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Ebates is celebrating their birthday and offering 15% cash back at over 250 stores all week long! This is an amazing way to save money on many of your online shopping purchases. If you have no idea how to earn cash back through Ebates (or what Ebates even is!) scroll down this post to learn more. This increased cash back offer goes through May 16, 2016, although some stores are only offered a few days throughout the week. If you are not already a member of Ebates you can sign up here (you’ll receive a $10 bonus after you spend $25 within the first 90 days of signing up – you must sign up through a referral link to receive this bonus – thank you in advance for using mine, but feel free to post yours in the comments section!)
There are over 250 stores included, but my top favorite include:
- IHG Hotels (Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, etc.)
- Rite Aid
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Kohl’s (only on May 9)
- Neiman Marcus (only on May 9)
- Bloomingdale’s (only on May 9 and May 10)
- Macy’s (only on May 10, May 11, and May 16)
- ULTA Beauty (only on May 9 and May 16)
- Priceline (only on May 11)
- eBay (only on May 11, May 12, May 13, and May 14
- Barneys NY (only on May 15 and May 16)
Most of these stores are typically 2-5% cash back, so getting 15% cash back is awesome! Also remember, you can combine the 15% cash back with any current Amex Offers where you might receive an additional statement credit (i.e., Orvis, Intermix, Rag + Bone, etc.).
What is Ebates?
Ebates is an online shopping portal where you simply go through their site to go to another merchants website. You ultimately make your purchase through the regular merchants website that you would have anyways by going directly to their online site. It just requires an extra step and you earn cash back along the way! Every 3 months, Ebates will send you a check for purchases posted during the previous quarter (as long as it is $5.01 or more, if not, it will be coupled with the next quarters check). Some shopping portals do pay out quicker then every 3 months, but to get 15% cash back on many stores is worth it. You can compare the cash back/points/miles for other online shopping portals at evrewards.com
How does a Ebates work?
I first want to preface it that going through an online shopping portal to earn cash back will take you an extra minute, if that. Ultimately, you go to the shopping portal first, but complete your online shopping through the merchants site directly. In the background, the purchase is tracked and you’ll get credit by going through Ebates. And remember, in many cases you can still use the regular stores coupon on top of receiving the cash back!
- First, you go to Ebates.com. Search for the store you are looking to make a purchase at and click the green “Search” button. You can also access all the 15% cash back stores at the top of the site.
- Click the “Shop Now” button. Right above it you’ll see the current cash back listed.
- Ebates will then take you directly to the merchants site. For the example above, you will be taken directly to bloomingdales.com as if you typed that in your web browser to begin with. There is absolutely no difference, but you are now getting 15% cash back on your entire purchase, which is amazing!!!
Never Miss a Cash Back Opportunity Again
Ebates allows you to install a widget which will automatically pop up on your computer when you are shopping online at an Ebates partner. You do not even need to go to Ebates first to see if you’ll receive cash back on your purchase!
- To install the widget: Sign onto your Ebates account. At the bottom of the screen you’ll see a popup appear allowing you to essentially save Ebates to your web browser. For example, this is what appeared on my computer when I added it to Chrome and Safari.
- Add Ebates to your respective browser. It takes only a few seconds.
- While shopping: Now, when you go to many shopping or travel websites, you’ll see the Ebates bar immediately popup on the upper-right hand side of your screen.
- Click the red “Activate” button and you are all set. In the example above, you’ll see that you’ll receive 2.5% cash back on your reservation at Marriott!
This serves as a simple reminder of where you can receive cash back and the amount you’ll receive. And you won’t have to go to the Ebates site first. While I try to be extremely diligent of going to shopping portal first, there are times I forget (especially with small purchases) and this will help me maximize.
You can sign up for for Ebates here and start shopping!
Disclosure: This includes my Ebates referral link. Feel free to include your own link in the comments section as well. As always, thanks for supporting the blog!