This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
A month or so ago, American Express came out with a great Amex Offer where you can essentially receive a $25 statement credit on a $100+ purchase at Staples.com when using a registered American Express credit card. If you follow this blog, you already know that I LOVE Amex Offers and maximize them to the fullest. While this offer is not available on Twitter (thus not available to everyone or 3rd party Amex cards), it seems to be widely available on AmericanExpress.com. Between my husband and I we were 9 for 9. This offer expires Sunday June 19, 2016, so make sure to do this today so you do not forget!
Registering for the Offer:
- Sign into your AmericanExpress.com account and go to “Amex Offers & Benefits” section.
- Find the Staples.com offer and click the “Add to Card” button.
- READ THIS: IF you have multiple American Express cards, you’ll want to first read the multi-browser trick to register multiple cards. If you click the “Add to Card” button first without opening up multiple web browsers for your various Amex cards, it will not appear again after you saved it once.
- Save the offer sooner than before the enrollment reaches its maximum allotment
Maximizing the Offer:
First off, this offer is only available for purchases made at Staples.com. So in-store purchases will NOT trigger the statement purchase. At Staples.com you can purchase not only products/supplies sold by Staples, but gift cards as well! Here are some tips on maximizing your purchase!
- Purchase a Staples gift card. The terms state that eGift cards are excluded, and that does apply for Staples eGift cards. They are processed through a third-party merchant, so will not work. However, you can purchase a physical Staples gift card that is sent in the mail. A $100 gift card does come with a $1.99 fee, so you’ll be paying slightly more for your gift card but still receive the $25 statement credit. This will then allow you to use the gift card in-store if you desire.
- Purchase a gift card for another merchant. Staples online sells a bunch of gift cards for other merchants. This includes Target, Home Depot, The Gap, Nordstrom, eBay, Whole Foods, and a slew of other options! Some are physical gift cards which come with a $1.99 fee while the eGift cards are free. These other merchant gift cards ARE processed directly through staples, so will trigger the statement credit. Only Staples eGift cards will NOT trigger the statement credit. This will then allow you to save 25%. Sometimes Staples even sells merchant gift cards at a discount allowing you save even more money!
- Purchase a Visa gift card. This is the best way to actually make money if you have no use for anything at Staples or another merchants gift card. Keep in mind though the fees will be higher as a $100 Visa gift card comes with a $6.95 fee. But Visa gift cards can be used ANYWHERE Visa is accepted allowing you to use it on your everyday purchases. With the $25 statement credit taken into consideration, this will allow you to profit $18.05 per registered Amex card.
- Purchase a free after rebate item. Many times Staples sells many items that ultimately end up being free after you submit a rebate for the exact same amount you paid. American Express just sees the amount you pay for the item on your registered card and doesn’t care/know if you are getting a check back for the purchased amount. When making at purchase at Staples.com, also make sure to go through an online shopping portal which will give you cash back, points, or miles for your purchase (this will not give you this for gift card purchases though).
I personally will be stocking up on either Home Depot, Lowes, or Target gift cards at a 25% discount. Since we bought a house and closing this summer, we will have many purchases at these stores that we would be making anyways. I also have a few more years of purchasing diapers and always get the Target brand, so a Target gift card always comes in handy! This Amex Offer alone should give you $25 towards a purchase you’d be making anyways and help you either offset your American Express card annual fee or make money on your no annual fee. You can learn more about making money on an American Express credit card here.
What will you be purchasing at Staples to get your free $25?!