This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here.
Currently, the Delta American Express credit cards are offering an increased sign up offer that is set to expire July 6, 2016. There are actually a total of four different co-branded cards. There is the Gold Delta SkyMiles card, both a personal and business version, and then the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card, again both a personal and business version. The sign up offer ranges between 50,000 and 60,000 bonus points based on the card you apply for. The sign up offer differs in the annual and the statement credit you receive. The cards itself also have a few different perks. So if you are wondering what the benefits are of one card over the other, here you go:
- Sign Up Offer: The Platinum personal and business card will give you a higher sign up bonus of 60,000 bonus miles after you meet the minimum spend requirement. The Gold personal and business card will only give you 50,000 bonus miles.
- Statement Credit: All four cards will give you a statement credit after you make a Delta purchase on the card within the first three months. The Gold personal and business card will give you a $50 statement credit, while the Platinum personal and business card will give you a $100 statement credit.
- Annual Fee: The Gold personal and business card have a $0 annual fee for the first year, and then you’ll be charged $95 annually. The Platinum personal and business card come with a $195 annual fee (not waived the first year).
- Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) Bonus: Only the Platinum personal and business card will allow you to earn MQMs without actually flying. From the sign up offer, you’ll receive a one time bonus of 10,000 MQMs after spending $2,000 in the first three months. On an annual basis, however, you can also continue to earn 10,000 MQMs after spending $25,000 on the card in the calendar year, plus another 10,000 MQMs after spending $50,000 on the card in that same year. You are eligible to earn the bonus for both the personal and business card, if you have both.
- Bonus Miles: On an annual basis, you can earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $25,000 on the card in the calendar year, plus another 10,000 bonus miles after spending $50,000 on the card that same year. You are eligible to earn the bonus for both the personal and business card, if you have both.
- American Express OPEN Benefits: The Gold business and Platinum business will give you access to American Express OPEN savings. This gives you a 5% statement credit when you use your card at many merchants, including: FedEx, Hertz, etc. You can read more about AMEX Open savings here.
Unfortunately though, all four cards are limited to one sign up offer in a lifetime. So if you’ve received this offer in the past, you technically are not eligible again. With that being said, each card counts as its own offer, so if you’ve only received the offer for one of these cards in the past, you are still eligible for the other three cards/offers.
If you are really looking at the cards simply for the bonus miles due to the sign up offer, I’d recommend the Delta Gold card (either personal or business). I do not believe paying the annual fee for the Platinum card is worth the extra 10,000 miles if you do not need the other benefits that come with the Platinum card. Overall though, all four are great offers and I highly suggest looking into one (or more!) to earn some bonus Delta miles.