This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Last week I wrote that IHG announced their new set of Point Break hotels, but you couldn’t actually go ahead and make those reservations until today. So here is your reminder to book your 5,000 point a night Point Break hotels for reservations through July 31, 2017. You can view the entire list of Point Break hotels.
At the participating properties, you can get a free night at many InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites for only 5,000 points a night! This is an unbelievable offer and participating properties seem to rotate every few months or so. For the most part, do not expect to see many high end properties on the list. Most hotels are outside major cities and along highways, but you still might find a great hotel for your needs!
For those also with a zero account balance, there are a few good ways to earn points to redeem for the 5,000 point hotel:
- IHG Rewards Credit Card (click the “Hotel Credit Cards” category) – Earn 60,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first three months. Annual fee is $49/year (waived the first year), and after each account anniversary you’ll receive a free night to use at any IHG hotels. Related blog post detailing card offer and benefits.
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards – You can transfer your Chase UR points at a 1:1 ratio, although compared to the other transfer partners it is not a great value. But if this is your only way to get the 5,000 points then it can definitely be worthwhile.
- Purchasing IHG points – Right now there are two ways to purchase IHG hotels on the cheap: 1) Daily Getaways still have their IHG purchase points offers available; 2) Make a “Cash + Points” reservation, cancel the reservation, and you’ll get the cash portion back in points – great for those that want to purchase points cheaply, but not great for those that prefer the cash back (check out Frequent Miler on the best way to do this)
PointBreak reservations go fast, so if there is a hotel you are interested in, I suggest booking immediately. Also, IHG only allows you to book two PointBreak reservations per account.
You can learn more about the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) program here:
- Free Night Annually with the IHG Credit Card
- Various Ways to Earn IHG Points
- “Buying” IHG Points for .7 Cents/Point
- Understanding IHG PointBreak Offers
- Utilizing the IHG Friends & Family Rate
Enjoy your discounted nights!