Starwood and Hyatt have just announced their Fall promotion, and I must say, I am quite disappointed. In the past, Hyatt has always offered their “Faster Free Night” promotion during this time of year, which gives guests a Free night to use at ANY Hyatt hotel after every 2 stays with no limits on the number of Free nights one can earn. Unfortunately, it seems as though the good days are gone, which will absolutely result in a decline of revenue stays from me. While I love the Hyatt brand, there are limited Hyatt hotels around the world and it really was the free night promotions that got me to stay with then. Now with the Starwood promotion, I am actually not surprised with what they are offering. They just came off a pretty decent summer promotion which offered guests a free resort night after every 3 stays, so their upcoming promotion is in par with their typical Fall promotion.
Starwood Promotion: Earn 2x points for all stays. However, if your stay includes either a Thursday or Sunday night, you will receive 3x points for your entire stay. The promotion runs from September 6 – December 18. Registration will begin September 6, 2011.
- Stays that do not include a Thursday and/or Sunday
- All Preferred Guest members will receive 4 points/$1 spent
- All Preferred Guest members using the Starwood American Express credit card will receive 6 points/$1 spent
- Gold and Platinum members will receive 5 points/$1 spent
- Gold and Platinum members using the Starwood American Express credit card will receive 7 points/$1 spent
- Stays including a Thursday and/or Sunday
- All Preferred Guest members will receive 6 points/$1 spent
- All Preferred Guest members using the Starwood American Express credit card will receive 8 points/$1 spent
- Gold and Platinum members will receive 7 points/$1 spent
- Gold and Platinum members using the Starwood American Express credit card will receive 9 points/$1 spent
There are many hotels excluded from this promotion, so make sure to look at the list prior to making a stay based on this promotion. It is quite an extensive list, and quite disappointing to see how many hotels actually opt-out of the promotion. Click here to see a list of all non-participating properties.
Hyatt Promotion: Earn 5,000 bonus points after every three nights. This promotion runs from September 15 – November 15. Nights can be combined throughout multiple stays, so if you have three one-night stays you will still be able to receive the bonus. The major disadvantage of this promotion is that it is capped at 30,000 points (18 nights). Registration will begin September 15, 2011. The good thing is that no hotels are excluded from this promotion.
Promotion comparison: There are many people out there that stay at a specific hotel based on the current promotion (me being one of them!). If your hotel spend is minimal, I would advise on completing your 18 nights at the Hyatt, then moving onto Starwood. If you are staying at expensive hotels, and especially if your stay consists of a Sunday or Thursday, then Starwood will probably be a better earning potential. Also, since Starwood starts a week early, make sure to stay at Starwood during the time period of September 6-September 14. I am in the midst of putting together a spreadsheet that will allow you to enter your personal situation and understand which promotion will be better for YOU!
I will be updating my “Top Promos” tab to include these upcoming promotions. Make sure to take a look at this page every so often to see all the promotions out there. This consolidated list will help you keep track of all the promotions without having to read through every single blog post!