American Express just recently came out with another holiday promotion called “the gift chain.” This promotion + the recent Small Business Saturday promotion = me having much love for American Express! The way this promotion works is that with every online purchase with a participating store (up to 10 purchases), you will receive an email letting you know what gift you have received.
- Register your American Express cards through this link. Each American Express card allows you up to 10 online purchases. You can register multiple AMEX cards if you need to.
- Make an online purchase between November 28 – December 21, 2011 at these participating stores: American Eagle, Bed Bath & Beyond, Blue Nile, Dell, Gamestop, J. Crew, Lenovo, Neiman Marcus, Nike, Pottery Barn, REI, RueLaLa, Toys ‘R Us, Vente Privee, Walmart, Yo Yo, and Zappos.
- Purchase must be of at least $25, which can include shipping and tax
- Gift card purchases are allowed
- No special website is needed to access the online shopping store, it is all linked to your American Express card. You can get a better bang for your buck when shopping through an online shopping mall and receive points/miles.
- Gifts include: 1-year membership to Shoprunner.com (seems to be the most common); $25 statement credit; 5,000 Membership Reward points; $20 American Express gift card; $2 Dunkin Donuts gift car; $100 Hilton HHonors Gift Card, etc. There are MANY more potential gifts – you can view them all here.
Thus far I have only made one online purchase and received a Shop Runner membership. I was hoping for something better! This was for a purchase at Bed Bath & Beyond. I am sure I will have more purchases (especially since I am addicted to RueLaLa) so will report back with any other surprise gifts I receive!
Also, as MommyPoints points out, Vente-Prive is giving out a $20 statement credit for your first purchase (for American Express card holders only). This is another one of those deal-a-day sites with expensive designer brands. There are not too many deals, so I am not a huge fan of this site! However, I did find a pair of expensive pants discounted to $29 (plus a flat $5.95 shipping fee). With the $20 statement credit, the item will only cost $15 – not too shabby! Also, this online store participates in American Express’s “gift chain” promotion. I have not made the purchase yet, but this $15 item when paid with my AMEX card could potentially result in a $25 statement credit (maybe!) and be a nice free gift for myself. You must be a member of the site, so feel free to register here. This site does have a referral program, so feel free to use your own link and send it to your friends (or find a friend who is already a member)! You will receive a $20 credit for each referral who makes a purchase.