This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Usually my mail consists of credit card bills and junk – that could be because I sign up for everything under the sun. However, today I received a nice note from Marriott giving me the opportunity to earn a FREE night by just using my Marriott Rewards credit card. My assumption is that this is a targeted offer and there might be different versions of this offer out there. Just make sure to not simply throw out your mail too quickly! If you did receive an offer in the mail, you do not need to register as it is already linked to your card.
With this offer, if I spend $1,500 both in February and March on my Marriott Rewards credit card, I will earn a free night certificate to be redeemed at any Marriott category 1-4 hotel. While this is a great offer it will take away from earning points on my Starwood American Express. I value a free category 1-4 Marriott hotel over 3,000 SPG points since I’ve been able to use prior category 1-4 free night certificates at hotels that would have otherwise cost about $150/night (with taxes). While this was unexpected, I am pretty content with this offer! Although I do not use my Marriott credit card often, these random offers plus the annual free night certificate at a category 1-5 night are reasons why I still keep this card in my wallet (prior blog post). This year alone I’ve used my category 1-5 certificate at a $250/night hotel and will value this free night at a conservative $100. The $350 is well worth my $85 annual fee!
If you have a Marriott Rewards credit card and did not receive any mailing, I’d suggest calling your credit card and inquiring.
Any other readers receive an offer in the mail?!
While many of you think category 1-4 hotels are useless, I’ve identified some locations to use them. While I clearly did not list every location, this shows some great cities to use your free nights.
- New Orleans (many great options!)
- Salt Lake City (central option for many ski mountains and right in downtown)
- Boston (Cambridge, South Boston)
- Philadelphia (Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown)
- Washington, DC (Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/Downtown AND Courtyard Washington, DC/Dupont Circle)
- Naples, FL/Ft. Myers, FL (many just a few miles from the beach)
- San Diego (Old Town, Mission Valley, La Jolla)
- Los Angeles, CA (Courtyard Los Angeles Marina del Rey – a mine or two from amazing beaches!)
- Bangkok, Thailand (a few options)
- Spain (Madrid, Sevilla, etc. – the new AC hotels!)
- Hong Kong (Courtyard Hong Kong – a room here is over $200/night)
- Vienna, Austria (Renaissance Wien Hotel and a few others)
- Berlin, Germany (Courtyard Berlin City Center)
- Jakarta, Indonesia (JW Marriott Hotel Jakarta)
- Kuala Lumpur (JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur AND Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel)
- Malmo, Sweden (Renaissance Malmo Hotel – relatively new hotel closer to Copenhagen, cool area to spend a day)
- Stockholm, Sweden (Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen)
- Saigon, Vietnam (Renaissance Riverside Hotel Saigon)
Offer terms: You will receive your bonus if you meet the requirements specified in this offer. Please allow 6 yo 8 weeks after the last day of the promotional period for your Free Night E-Certificate to be automatically deposited into your Marriott Rewards Account. Free Night E-Certificates are valid for hotels in categories 1-4. For participating category 1-4 locations, log onto MarriottRewards.com or call 1-800-321-7396. E-Certificates must be redeemed within 6 months from date of issue. E-Certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points.