I’ve received many emails and comments regarding American Express’s mix-n-match promotion, so figured I’d answer them all here for everyone to view. You can read this prior post to learn more about this promotion, but as a quick recap – use your Amex at 2 participating NYC merchants and get $50 statement credit if you spend $200 or more.
- It will no longer let me register –Unfortunately, registration is limited. Originally it was capped to the first 10,000 registrants, but has been upped to 25,000 people. Since they have upped this number three times already, there always is the possibility that they eventually allow more to register. If this happens, I’ll be sure to let you all know!
- Can I only use an American Express Membership Rewards cards? – No, any American Express branded card is eligible, but must have been registered
- I used my Macy’s card at Macy’s and am now in a pickle – Something you might not be aware of is that both Macy’s and Bloomingdale American Express cards have two accounts tied to them: One is an American Express account for all purchases made outside of the respective store, and one is a Macy’s (or Bloomingdales) store account for all purchases made in the store. The number on your card is actually linked to your regular American Express account which receives all the transactions for purchases made outside of the store. This is the account that was used to register your card for the mix-n-match promotion. So the issue arises when using your Macy’s card in a Macy’s (or the same in Bloomingdales). The Macy’s purchase does not hit your registered American Express account, but the other merchant does. To make a long story short – when using Macy’s or Bloomingdale cards, do not have the store as one of your two purchases. Make two purchases outside of those stores.
- When will I receive my statement credit? – Others have posted that they have already received their $50 statement credits, which is great! This means they are posting pretty quickly.
- Do I need to spend $200 at each merchant? – No! While you must make purchases with at least two participating merchants, the total must be $200 or more.
- I do not live in NYC, but registered my cards. Anyway I can take advantage? – While there is no guarantee, it is worth calling a participating merchant to see if they will register your purchase over the phone and register the purchase at their store locally. This works best for gift cards. I would not even attempt Macy’s and Bloomingdales as they will send you to the online site or to call corporate headquarters. You might have some success at Gap, Banana, Steve Madden, etc. If a clothing store will not send a gift card, they 99% would ship you an item from their store if in stock. Only problem is you might have to pay shipping and then probably isn’t worth it. Your best bet will be to call a participating restaurant in NYC, but this will only work if you plan to dine at that restaurant during your next visit to NYC. Another option is to call Costco in NYC – they have $300 American Airline gift certificates for $270. If you are going to try this option, just make sure that the store is a participating merchant in NYC.
Have any other questions to add to this list? Remember, these are only participating NYC merchants, so is not available for everyone, but for those that can partake, a quick and easy way to get $50 back per card!