This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Small Business Saturday registration is officially open! This means you can register each American Express card you have and when you spend $25 on Saturday November 24th at a participating merchant you’ll receive a $25 statement credit. To learn more about this promotion read this prior blog post.
So here are some FAQs about the promotion. If you have any more, feel free to post in the comments section and if I do not have the answer, hopefully other blog readers can share their experience.
Small Business Saturday / American Express Promotion Q&A’s (and by the way these are not official FAQs, just my own based on questions that others have asked):
- Q: Where do I register my American Express card to participate in this promotion?
- A: Register your American Express card at this website. You will need to enter your name, American Express number, and email.
- Q: When can I use my registered American Express card to get the $25 statement credit?
- A: On Saturday November, 2012 is the only day where if you spend $25, you will receive a $25 statement credit.
- Q: Which merchants are participating in this promotion?
- A: You can search for participating merchants at the Small Business Saturday website. You must enter your location/zip code, but it will only list the closest 100 merchants. To find additional merchants, enter the town/zip code next door.
- Q: Can you visit merchants that are not on the list and still get the $25 statement credit?
- A: Last year, yes, it worked. However, this year the T&C clearly state that the merchant must be listed, so I am not sure how it will work this year. I personally wouldn’t risk it, but that is me.
- Q: Which credit cards can I register?
- A: You can register all your American Express cards, even those that are Citi American Express cards.
- A: For example: American Express Premier Rewards Gold, American Express Green Card, American Express Platinum, American Express Gold, American Express Blue, Gold Delta SkyMiles, Platinum Delta SkyMiles, Delta Reserve, JetBlue Card from American Express, Blue Sky from American Express, Blue Sky Preferred by American Express, Hilton HHonors Card from American Express, Hilton HHonors Surpass from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest from American Express, Blue Cash Everyday from American Express, Blue Cash Preferred from American Express, Clear from American Express, TrueEarnings Card from Costco and American Express. The business versions of all of these cards qualify as well.
- Q: Am I able to register/use my Bloomingdales and Macy’s American Express card?
- A: Yes! That works the same as any other American Express card.
- Q: Am I able to register a Citi American Express card?
- A: Yes you are, however, keep in mind that if the statement credit doesn’t go through manually Citi won’t credit you the $25 since it is Amex’s promotion, and American Express won’t help since it is a Citi card – in that case, you’ll be out of luck.
- Q: Can I register additional authorized user cards?
- A: Yes. While I actually didn’t do this last year, many reports showed success of being able to use authorized users credit cards. As long as the actual credit card number is different, you will be fine. Keep in mind though that additional card holders for Citi cards will not work.
- Q: Am I able to register prepaid cards?
- A: No, prepaid cards and corporate cards are excluded from this promotion. Corporate cards are NOT the same as business cards, they are the ones large corporations typically give to employees and are greenish color.
- Q: When does registration last till?
- A: There are a limited number of spots, so once they run out registration is over. I suggest just registering now.
- Q: Can I make a purchase online or over the phone?
- A: Technically this is for in-store purchases only, but you might have luck with online purchases. Keep in mind though, some online purchases will not register until the next day or two meaning that the purchase will not appear on November 24 and have another date tied to it instead. In that case, you’ll be out of luck.
- A: There are probably merchants out there that will work with you to take phone orders and process it as if it is an in-store purchase for that day. This is a win-win situation.
- Q: Am I allowed to use multiple credit cards at the same store and still get the $25 statement credit for each purchase?
- Yes, you can use as many registered Amex credit cards you have at the same merchant.
- Q: If I have a non-US American Express card will this still work?
- I am not 100% sure. I do not see anything stated against this in the T&C, but no guarantee. Did anyone try this last year?
Enjoy your free money!