For the month of May, US Airways offered a promotion giving you up to 100% bonus on purchased US Airways miles, depending on the number of miles you purchase. The more miles you purchase, the greater the bonus is:
- Buy/gift 5,000 – 9,999 miles, get a 25% bonus
- Buy/gift 10,000 – 19,999 miles, get a 50% bonus
- Buy/gift 20,000 – 29,999 miles, get a 75% bonus
- Buy/gift 30,000 – 50,000 miles, get a 100% bonus
If you keep up with this blog and the points and miles world, you are well aware that some sort of bonus on purchased miles comes around pretty often, so if you are hesitant this go-around, there is a good chance you will have another opportunity in the future. But for this particular promotion,today, May 31 is the last day to purchase miles under the May promotion special.
You can read more about the promotion and if it is worthwhile for you in this prior blog post, but to quickly recap:
- Earn up to a 100% bonus on all purchased miles up to 50,000 miles
- Promotion runs through May 31, 2013
- Miles cost 3.5 cents each (plus taxes and fees)
- Your US Airways account must be at least 12 days old
- Purchase miles here
Typically, miles are sold for $0.035, but if purchase 30,000-50,000 miles (the highest tier) with this promotion you can think of each mile costing $0.0175. If you go all in, the 100,000 miles will cost you $1,881.25 (this means you purchase 50,000 miles). These 100,000 miles can be used for a round-trip business class ticket from the US to Europe. Purchasing this ticket will typically cost you at least $3,000 (and that is on the real conservative side probably).
I personally do not like speculatively purchasing miles, but if you have a trip in mind, this deal could potentially be in your favor, especially if you are looking for a business/first class ticket. You can check out the US Airways award chart here to see the number of miles needed for each route.