This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
UPDATE: This offer has expired. You can see the latest offers here.
The United MileagePlus Explorer Card is now offering a 50,000 mile sign up bonus after you spend $2,000 on the card within the first three months. For awhile now, the offer has been a pretty steady 30,000 miles (although there has been some targeted offers out there). This increased offer is available through September 2, 2014. In my opinion, this is a great offer and now competitive to many of the other credit card offers currently available. This card has a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
Travel benefits with this card include:
- Free first checked bag: The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card.
- Priority boarding: Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
- No fees on foreign transactions: Purchases made with your Explorer Card outside the U.S. will not be subject to foreign transaction fees.
- 2 United ClubSM passes per year: Take some time to relax before your flight with two one-time-use United Club passes each year. Enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, and amenities like workspaces, free Wi-Fi and more.
Additionally, you can earn even more points by adding an authorized user or spending a certain amount on the card in the calendar year:
- 5,000 Bonus Miles: 5,000 Bonus Miles when you add an authorized user to your account and make a purchase with your Card during the first 3 months as a Cardmember.
- 10,000 Bonus Miles: Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.
So how many miles do you need to travel on United, and what will 50,000 miles get you? Domestic economy class tickets are 25,000 miles roundtrip, so this card can get you 2 free tickets (+taxes) off the bat. A better usage of miles typically though is to use for international travel. A roundtrip flight to Europe in coach will run you 60,000 miles.