UPDATE: This offer has expired. You can see the latest offers here.
This is a quick reminder that United’s credit card offer for the United MileagePlus Explorer card is ending tomorrow, September 2, 2014. This offer gives you 50,000 miles after spending $2,000 on the card within the first three months. It is significantly better then the normal publicly available offer, so if you looking to increase your United balance this is a card you might want to consider. My guess is that post September 2nd, the sign up offer will go down to 30,000 miles after meeting the minimum spend requirement, but that is not confirmed.
There are actually two active links to apply for the card. They both give the same 50,000 miles, but the “non-public” offer also gives you a $50 statement credit after your first purchase on the card. The only issue is that this link hasn’t been working for everyone, but definitely try. Also, for adding an authorized user to your account and after they make a purchase with the card within the first three months, you’ll earn 5,000 bonus miles. That is a nice benefit for adding another user. On an annual basis you can also earn another 10,000 bonus miles after spending $25,000 on the card. That is a lot of spend to put on one card, however, so that benefit might not apply to many of you.
- Link #1: Earn 50,000 miles after spending $2,000 on the card within the fist three months. This is the publicly available link. This offer is also available to those who have received a sign up bonus in the past as long as you meet the following criteria: 1) Not currently a cardmember; and 2) Have not received a new cardmember bonus for this consumer credit card within the last 24 months. Application link.
- Link#2: Earn 50,000 miles after spending $2,000 on the card within the fist three months. This offer also comes with a $50 statement credit after your first purchase. Definitely the better offer, however, it is a non-public offer which has worked for some, but not everyone. The offer is supposed to appear when booking a United flight. Application link.
Travel benefits with this card include:
- Free first checked bag: The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free ($25 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person) on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card.
- Priority boarding: Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding.
- No fees on foreign transactions: Purchases made with your Explorer Card outside the U.S. will not be subject to foreign transaction fees.
- 2 United ClubSM passes per year: Take some time to relax before your flight with two one-time-use United Club passes each year. Enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, and amenities like workspaces, free Wi-Fi and more.
So how many miles do you need to travel on United, and what will 50,000 miles get you? Domestic economy class tickets are 25,000 miles roundtrip, so this card can get you 2 free domestic tickets (+ taxes) right off the bat. A better usage of miles typically though is to use for international travel. A roundtrip flight to Europe in coach will run you 60,000 miles.
In my opinion, this is a great offer and now very competitive to many of the other credit card offers currently available. The card also has a $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95. If you are in the market to accrue United miles, you can couple this offer with one of the Chase Ultimate Reward earning cards as their points transfer to United at a 1:1 ratio: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold card, and Chase Ink Plus card. You can learn more about Chase Ultimate Rewards here.