This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Every now and then, IHG Rewards Club offers PointBreak hotels. This means that you can get a free night at participating InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites for only 5,000 points a night! You can check out the current PointBreak hotel list that was just announced here. This list is valid for hotel reservations made through November 30, 2014.
Most hotels are outside the cities and along highways, but you still might find a great hotel for your needs! This time around there are actually a few nice hotels in decent locations. They include:
- Holiday Inn Porto – Gaia (Portugal)
- Holiday Inn Express Luzern – Neuenkirch (Switzerland)
- InterContinental Nha Trang (Vietnam)
- Crowne Plaza Jerusalem (Israel)
For those also with a zero account balance, there are a few good ways to earn points to redeem for the 5,000 point hotel:
- IHG Rewards Credit Card – Earn 60,000 or 80,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first three months. Annual fee is $49/year (waived the first year), and after each account anniversary you’ll receive a free night to use at any IHG hotels. You can check out the reports in this FlyerTalk thread.
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards – You can transfer your Chase UR points at a 1:1 ratio, although compared to the other transfer partners not a great value. But if this is your only way to get the 5,000 points then it can definitely be worth it.
- Purchasing IHG points – You can also always “purchase” points at .7 cents per point through a roundabout method. To do this you must make a reservation using the “Cash & Points” option (so you must have enough points for that reservation) and if you cancel the reservation you will get the “Cash” portion back in points. The “Cash” portion of your reservation is essentially buying points at .7 cents per point. Obviously not good for those that want the cash back, but good for those that want more points.
- Earn points through IHG’s “Into the Nights” promotion – By completing the tasks targeted to your specific account, you can rack up some points pretty cheap. You can learn more about this promotion here.
Also, a new-ish rule has been put in place for PointBreak reservations. You are limited to two PointBreak reservations per account.
Anyone able to take advantage of the PointBreak hotels?