This is post #5 of a series regarding the InterContinental Hotels Guest (IHG) program.
- Free Night Annually with the IHG Credit Card
- Various Ways to Earn IHG Points
- “Buying” IHG Points for .7 Cents/Point
- Understanding IHG PointBreak Offers
- Utilizing the IHG Friends & Family Rate
- Earning Status with IHG and What Does it Mean?
- IHG Ambassadors Status
A little known secret about InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) is their publicly available Friends & Family rate! While most hotel chains have some sort of friends and family rate, it requires an employee to either make the reservation for you or sign off on some paperwork for you to give the front desk upon check in. Friend and family rates can sometimes be amazing, but it takes knowing someone who works at one of the hotel chains to reap the benefit.
With IHG, however, the friends and family rate is available to EVERYONE! To find an IHG employee that has made their Friends & Family link public, simply google “IHG Friends and Family”. The first one that comes up for me in my google search is here, but in case the page is ever taken down (the employee leaves IHG), you can just google and find another one.
All you have to do is print out the voucher, fill it out, and give it to the hotel upon check-in (if they ask for it). The voucher does not require an employee ID or anything to be signed.
While getting an extra discount is great, there are some things to know. First off, you might be able to find a better discount by using a corporate or members only rate (i.e., AAA). Since the friends and family rate is more widely available than other hotel chains, the discount is not always as good. Make sure to rate check to ensure it is the best possible rate. Also, from my experience, the friends and family rate requires a pre-paid, cancelable stay. So before making your reservation, make sure you will not need to cancel! Lastly, you will not earn points or credits towards status. Since this is not a point earning stay, you also will not be eligible for any promotions at the given time.
Of course there have been stories of the Friends & Family rate not working, but I’ve personally only had positive experiences. Feel free to comment below with your experience using IHG’s Friends & Family rate!
Affiliated IHG Credit Card:
- IHG Rewards Club Select Visa Credit Card – Earn 60,000 points after you spend $1,000 within the first three months. Receive a free night certificate annually (starting with your second year as a card member). No annual fee the first year, then $49/year. Card application link. Some people have also been able to find a targeted link that was offering 80,000 points + $50 statement credit which I wrote about here.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As always, thanks for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal.