This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Awhile ago I introduced the concept of making money by taking advantage of a great promotion with Amex Express Checkout. For those new to the concept, Amex Express Checkout is a new payment option available for select retailers and is a similar concept as Visa Checkout or Paypal payment option. For participating retailers, once you checkout to pay, all you need to do is sign into your American Express.com account and select the card you want to pay with. It will then automatically gather all your credit card information which means you do not have to have your credit card on hand and manually type in the information to pay.
With this new service, American Express introduced a promotion where you will receive a $10 statement credit just by using this feature through September 7, 2015. This is a one time credit PER CARD PER MERCHANT – which is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Since there are 11 qualifying merchants, you can get up to $110 per Amex credit card! Only cards that are in your AmericanExpress.com account can be used (therefore, third party cards like Bloomingdales and prepaid cards like Target REDCard are not eligible).
Some merchants are better than others, but the entire list includes:
- newegg.com –> easy merchant to take advantage with
- sabon.com –> easy merchant to take advantage with
- ticketmaster.com –> possibly an easy merchant to take advantage with
Thus far, I’ve made the following purchases on ALL 11 of mine, my husbands, and my moms Amex cards:
- Newegg.com: $10 gift card (purchase gift cards here)
- Ticketmaster.com: $1 concert ticket
- Sabon.com: $10 gift card
At all three merchants I’ve receive the $10 statement credit and these purchases were made awhile ago. I made the following purchases at each of these three merchants:
- Newegg.com: $10 Home Depot gift card. You are only allowed to purchase the same gift card once every 48 hours per account, so it took close to a month to get all the gift cards purchased. These are eGift cards and I printed them out to use for the next time I make a purchase at this store. You can purchase different gift cards right after another, but I specifically wanted Home Depot.
- Ticketmaster.com: I was able to purchase a $1 concert ticket awhile back which was not cancelled. If ticketmaster did by chance cancel a ticket you purchased, that means the $10 statement credit will also be taken back. Unfortunately now, the Amex Express Checkout option is only available on purchases of $5 or more.
- Sabon.com: I purchased a $10 gift card for every Amex card. This took probably about an hour max to get everything purchased. I then used all $110 gift cards to purchase some overpriced soap and candles. These gift cards CANNOT be used in store and free shipping is only available on purchases of $100 or more. Although they sometimes have 15% off offers and free shipping with a $65+ purchase.
So ultimately, I ended up with $110 of free stuff from Sabon, $110 in Home Depot gift cards, and $99 in just free money!
Taking advantage of the promotion per merchant
As I mentioned, you can take advantage of this offer once per merchant. I’ve gone through every merchant and have detailed out the best way to maximize:
Burberry: No inexpensive options. Only good if you were thinking about making a purchase from Burberry anyways. They do sell $50 gift cards (the lowest denomination option), so you can purchase that to trigger the $10 statement credit.
Laithwaite’s Wine: No inexpensive options. Only good if you were thinking about making a wine purchase anyways. There is a link for gift card purchases but it has said none available since this offer appeared.
Ledbury: Currently Ledbury gift cards are only available in $50 denominations. Hopefully the lower level amount will re-appear at some point before the promotion ends. There are no inexpensive items on the site.
Newegg: You have three options: 1) Purchase an item you were going to purchase anyways and receive the $10 statement credit. 2) Purchase a $10 gift card to MANY merchants (i.e., Home Depot, Gap, Kmart, Groupon, Cheesecake Factory, Chili’s, CVS, Sports Authority, etc.) and receive the $10 statement credit – this option gives you a FREE $10 gift card ultimately. You can purchase a gift card here. 3) Find the cheapest item (many are downloadable codes) which allows you to make about a $9.50 profit. You can search for the cheap (sub $1) codes here.
Sabon: Purchase a $10 gift card and receive a $10 statement credit – ultimately giving you a $10 gift card for FREE! You can then use compiled gift cards to make a larger purchase on the site. Also, make sure to join the Sabon Club to earn 1 point for every $10 purchase (which equals an extra dollar!).
Ticketmaster: Find a cheap event to trigger the $10 statement credit. New ticket options are always appearing.
Virgin Wines: No inexpensive options. Only good if you were thinking about making a wine purchase anyways. There is a link for gift card purchases but it has said none available since this offer appeared.
WarbyParker: No inexpensive options. Only good if you were thinking about making a purchase from Burberry anyways. They do sell $50 gift cards (the lowest denomination option), so you can purchase that to trigger the $10 statement credit.
The Wall Street Journal: No money making opportunities, just a good way to save money if you are looking to subscribe or already subscribe. Although back in May they had an option to pay just $2 for a 2 month subscription. You could then cancel the subscription when the two months was over. If this type of sale comes again, this means you can make $8 per Amex card. I’ll be sure to let you all know if something like this appears again. Right now the current special is 12 weeks for $12. That means you can get 3 months of the WSJ for just $2 if you desire – just make sure to cancel afterwards!
WSJ Wine: No inexpensive options. Only good if you were thinking about making a wine purchase anyways. There is a link for gift card purchases but it has said none available since this offer appeared.
There are definitely some merchants available where you can get free items or make some money! I highly suggest taking advantage of Newegg, Ticketmaster, and Sabon at the minimum. You still have time! Just take an hour at most out of your day so take advantage of this awesome offer!
Feel free to report back with what you find! Enjoy making and saving money!