This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
UPDATE: This offer has expired. You can see all current offers here.
Last week I wrote about the limited time offer for the Starwood credit card. With both the personal and business version of the card you can receive 35,000 bonus points after meeting the minimum spend requirement. This is the highest offer we’ve ever seen for the card and in my best guest possibly the highest offer for the year.
Since this card typically offers a steady 25,000 point bonus offer, there are many people who have applied for this card in the past few months and are now wondering if they can get American Express to match their bonus to the current offer. As a typical rule of thumb, American Express does not match sign up bonuses, even if it was only within a few days. With that being said, there are always exceptions to the rule and if you can get a nice supervisor you might be surprised!
I’ve had a bunch of readers email me telling me of their success (and not success) with getting a bonus match. It seems to be pretty split down the middle. But here are some things I am finding:
- To request a match, you must call American Express. Messaging them through the online chat on your AmericanExpress.com account will not do anything. Upon calling, you will speak to a customer service representative, they do not have the authority to do anything. Explain your situation and then ask to speak to a supervisor.
- Explain to the supervisor that you’ve been an American Express cardmember for awhile now and that you are hoping they can match to the new bonus offer. Explain that you just recently received the card and only received a 25,000 bonus offer (or 30,000 offer if you applied during another limited time offer), and that the offer is now 30,000 points with the same minimum spend requirement.
- If they say no, I would keep on pushing them. Tell them you know other friends and family members in the same situation has been able to receive the bonus points. If no luck, you can always hang up and try again.
Feel free to report your success in the comments below. I would also do this sooner than later before some mass notice goes out to supervisors letting them know they are no longer authorized to award the points (just speculation).
And remember, if you already have one version of the card (personal or business) you are still eligible to apply and earn the bonus points for the other version, upon approval and meeting the minimum spend requirement. You can learn more about the offer and the benefits of the card here.
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express (personal): Earn 35,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first three months; $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express OPEN (business): Earn 35,000 Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first three months; $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
*Terms and limitations apply.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links. As always, thank you for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal!