This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) just announced that their 5,000 point a night PointBreak hotels list will be available today, January 27, 2017 at 12pm EST. These properties are available for reservations January 30 through April 30, 2017. So you have the weekend to go over the list and figure out any reservations that appeal to you. IHG reached out to me with a sample list of what you’ll see, which includes:
- Hotel Indigo Krakow – Old Town
- Holiday Inn Bangkok Silom
- InterContinental Real Santo Domingo
- Candlewood Suites Anaheim – Resort Area
- Crowne Plaza Tianjin Jinnan
- Holiday Inn Express Louisville Airport Expo Center
- Holiday Inn Frankfurt Airport
At noon today, you’ll be able to visit the entire list of Point Break hotels. For right
At the participating properties, you can get a free night at many InterContinental, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites for only 5,000 points a night! This is an unbelievable offer and participating properties seem to rotate every few months or so. For the most part, do not expect there to be many high end properties on the list. Most hotels are outside major cities and along highways, but you still might find a great hotel for your needs! You can learn more about IHG’s PointBreak offers here.
For those also with a zero account balance, there are a few good ways to earn points to redeem for the 5,000 point hotel:
- IHG Rewards Credit Card (click the “Hotel Credit Cards” category) – Earn 60,000 points after spending $1,000 in the first three months. Annual fee is $49/year (waived the first year), and after each account anniversary you’ll receive a free night to use at any IHG hotels. Related blog post detailing card offer and benefits.
- Transferring points from Chase Ultimate Rewards – You can transfer your Chase UR points at a 1:1 ratio, although compared to the other transfer partners it is not a great value. But if this is your only way to get the 5,000 points then it can definitely be worthwhile.
- Purchasing IHG points – Through February 5th there is a targeted offer where you can purchase points with up to a 75% bonus. You’ll have to check your offer here to see if you are eligible. Also, you can always “purchase” points at .7 cents per point through a roundabout method. To do this you must make a reservation using the “Cash & Points” option (so you must have enough points for that reservation) and if you cancel the reservation you will get the “Cash” portion back in points. The “Cash” portion of your reservation is essentially like buying points at .7 cents per point. Obviously not good for those that want the cash back, but good for those that want more points. There is also a promo where those that have the IHG credit card will receive a 15% discount on the cash portion bringing your “purchase” price down to .7 cents per point.
PointBreak reservations go fast, so if there is a hotel you are interested in, I suggest booking immediately when they come available. Also, IHG only allows you to book two PointBreak reservations per account.
You can learn more about the InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) program here:
- Free Night Annually with the IHG Credit Card
- Various Ways to Earn IHG Points
- “Buying” IHG Points for .7 Cents/Point
- Understanding IHG PointBreak Offers
- Utilizing the IHG Friends & Family Rate
Enjoy your discounted nights!