This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
I wrote about this offer at the beginning of the year, but since many months have passed, I wanted to remind you all to take advantage of it… if you are eligible!
For awhile now, you’ve been able to use your American Express Membership Reward points to pay for Amazon.com purchases. For every 1 point you redeem you get 1 cent off your purchase, definitely not a value I’d redeem my points at. BUT…. through the end of the year, if you link your Membership Rewards account to your Amazon.com account, select accounts can get $25 off your purchase of $50 or more! The great thing about this offer is that Amazon sells other merchants gift cards and those work. So you can purchase a $50 gift card to another store for half price! This offer is valid through December 31, 2017 or until 80,000 customers have redeemed this offer. As of 6/20 the code is still working so it has not yet hit its customer threshold.
How to take advantage of this promotion:
- If you haven’t already linked your American Express card to your Amazon account, you can do that here.
- Shop at Amazon.com and add $50 worth of products (which must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com) to your shopping cart. Many merchant gift cards work as well, so you can go ahead and search for merchant gift cards here.
- On the payment page, select your linked Membership Rewards earning credit card. At the bottom of the payment page you’ll see all your linked accounts where you can use points (Chase and Amex). Select your American Express Membership Rewards Points account and enter the number of points you want to use towards your purchase. Since I do not like redeeming my points at Amazon (due to the low redemption value), I entered just 1 cent which means 1 point will be applied. For the promotion to apply, the minimum amount required is only 1 point! Do not do full points as it is not a good value!
- On the check out page, enter the promotion code AMEX17EVER. If you are not eligible for the promotion, it will say “The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase.”
- You will see the $25 taken off on the right-hand side displaying your total amount.
The terms state that to be eligible for this offer, you must be logged into an account which has been active for 90 days or longer. It also states that the offer is not available to American Express Membership Rewards eligible cards whose points have been previously used for purchases at Amazon.com in the past twenty four months.
If you are not eligible for this offer, you still might be able to get customer service to manually apply the $25 discount to your order. In the past, Amazon customer service has been very generous and applying the offer to accounts that weren’t eligible, so it is worth a try to see if it works this time as well! Directions on contacting customer service and getting this applied are similar to this past post (just keep in mind that the coupon code and discount used in the prior post is for an old promotion – make sure to give customer service the information listed in this blog post).
For those that are eligible, enjoy your $25 free at Amazon!