This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
UPDATE: This offer has expired.
Delta just increased the welcome bonus for many of their co-branded American Express credit cards! These are some very lucrative offers which can help you fly for free! This is a limited time offer that will go through April 11, 2018. With this offer you can earn up to 70,000 bonus miles depending on the card you apply for. These are the highest offers you’ll see for these cards and actually include a lower minimum spend then we’ve seen in the past! The offers include:
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express: Limited Time Offer: Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after you spend an additional $1,000 with your new Card within your first 6 months. Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95. Offer expires on 4/11/2018. *Terms Apply.
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express: Limited Time Offer: Earn 70,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months. In addition, earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. $195 annual fee. Offer expires on 4/11/2018. *Terms Apply.
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express: Make business travel more rewarding. Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months. Plus earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after you make an additional $1,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 6 months. Additionally, earn a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95. Offer expires on 4/11/2018. *Terms and limitations apply.
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express: Limited Time Offer: Earn 70,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. $195 annual fee. Offer expires on 4/11/2018. Terms and limitations apply.
Difference between personal and business versions:
You’ll notice that the personal and business offers of the respective cards are very similar in nature. Although there is one main differences where the business version has a slight leg up:
- With the business version of the two cards you are eligible to American Express OPEN savings. This gives you 5% statement credit when you use your card at many merchants, including: FedEx, Hertz, etc. You can read more about AMEX Open savings here.
Unfortunately though, all cards are limited to one welcome offer in a lifetime. So if you’ve received this offer in the past, you are technically not eligible. With that being said, each card counts as its own offer, so if you’ve only received the offer for one of these cards in the past, you are still eligible for the other three cards/offers.
Due to the above rule, you want to make sure to apply during the highest offer you’ll ever receive. At this point, we’ve never seen a higher offer then the current offer!
Other card benefits:
- With all four cards you’ll receive your first checked bag for free for both you and 8 other passengers on the same itinerary, Priority boarding, 20% in-flight savings, and discounted SkyClub access. I personally find those benefits pretty basic, but the free checked baggage can really save you some money depending on how you fly.
- With the Platinum card only, you are able to earn 10,000 miles and 10,000 MQMs for the first $25,000 in spend during the calendar year. You’ll then earn another 10,000 miles and MQMs after you spend $50,000 total in the calendar year. That is on top of the MQMs you receive for the limited time offer.
- With the Platinum card only, you’ll receive an annual companion certificate.
- Since all are American Express cards, you are eligible to take advantage of the many American Express statement credit offers that I write about often! This can help often the annual fee and help you save money!
With four different offers, which card is best for you?
So while all four cards have similar benefits, the Platinum card has some enhanced perks that will ultimately cost you more due to the higher annual fee. For the first year, you’ll ultimately be spending an extra $195 to earn another 10,000 miles (First year: $195 annual fee for Platinum Delta; $0 annual fee for Gold Delta). Although do keep in mind that the Platinum card has a higher statement credit as part of the offer that can help offset the annual fee.
One main main reason to get the Platinum card over the Gold card is if you are looking to earn additional miles and MQMs. While you will get an additional 10,000 MQMs upfront as part of the sign on bonus, there is the ability to get more miles and MQMs on an annual basis. If you are able to put that much spend on your card, however, then the annual fee difference could be well worth it. Also, the Platinum card comes with an annual companion certificate upon account renewal (domestic economy class that can be used within the 48 contiguous states + you have to pay applicable taxes/fees). But, if you are just looking for the basic perks and a good welcome bonus, then the Gold card is probably best.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links. As always, thank you for supporting the blog and enjoy traveling on a deal!