This post may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners, such as American Express. Read my Advertiser Disclosure policy here. Additionally, some of the offers on this page may no longer be available through Deals We Like.
Southwest is currently having a fare sale for flights flown between April 3 and June 13 and then again August 31 and October 31, 2018. With fare sales I always double check flights that I’ve already booked to see if the price has gone down. I know many readers have been able to get a bunch of points back on flights previously booked during these fare sales! It’s also a good opportunity to look into flights that you’ve been meaning to book. This sale goes through end of day Thursday March 15, 2018.
If you already have a Southwest flight booked for a flight that decreased in price, you can get back the difference with no change fees. You can read more about the exact process and steps to go about this with these two blog posts: “Changing and Canceling a Southwest Flight” and “If a Southwest Flight Goes Down in Price….” Keep in mind though, earlier this year Southwest changed their rules where if you “change” a flight it makes a fully refundable fare, non-refundable, so you might want to cancel and then rebook. You can learn more about this new rule here. But essentially if you…
- Paid for the flight… You will receive a voucher for the difference in fare price to be used one year from the date the flight was originally purchased (NOT the date the change process took place). This voucher is non-transferable. The voucher will be tied to the confirmation number of the original flight. There is NO fee for this.
- Booked your flight using points… The difference in points will go back into your account immediately. Although, you might want to cancel and rebook. Again, there is NO fee for this. This is why I love booking Southwest flights using points!
My favorite thing about Southwest is if you have points, you can speculatively book flights and if you need to cancel there are no fees at all! The points just go right back into the account they were booked from.
Anyone able to find a good flight for a future trip or get points back on an existing reservation?
Want More Southwest Points and a Friend to Fly with your for Free?
All three Southwest credit cards are offering an increased limited time offer. The best part about the points earned from the welcome offer is that the points earned count towards the companion pass! Learn more about the offer and the companion pass here.
- Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card: Earn 50,000 points after spending $2,000 on the card within the first 3 months; $69 annual fee. This card will earn you 3,000 bonus points on your account anniversary.
- Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Card: Earn 50,000 points after spending $2,000 on the card within the first 3 months; $99 annual fee. This card will earn you 6,000 bonus points on your account anniversary.
- Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Business Premier Card: Earn 60,000 points after spending $3,000 on the card within the first 3 months; $99 annual fee. This card will earn you 6,000 bonus points on your account anniversary.